Truecrypt messed up booting no rescue disk

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Micah63, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micah63

Micah63 Registered Member

So I decided a while back to encrypt my pc's hard drive with full hard drive encryption and i have a windows 7 64 bit pc .Recently today i decided to install linux manjaro and dual boot with window but with out thinking about it i installed over the truecrypts boot loader so when i tried to load up windows i could not. i installed truecrypt on my manjaro and couldnt mount the hard drive. i have no clue why. So i made a tc recovery disk on a dif pc and installed the tc boot loader again and now its saying it cant find an encrypted hard partition! so i have no clue what i should do now i have all my really important stuff backed up on a flash drive but its encrypted with tc and my password was kept on my encrypted pc.

I really need help! So any I get thanks!

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

You have two really simple options.

1. You can pull the sata/ide out of the computer and put it on another computer with TC and open the drive easily there. The second computer will need TC installed, or you can even run in TC portable mode if you know what that means. From your post you obviously have access to another machine.

2. Use a liveCD like UBCD4Win and open the drive using a RAM disk approach. That is also easy to do if you have access to a liveCD and a TC portable folder with the same version of TC. Sometimes the version can be different but it works best if its the same version.

Worst case would be you get the password for the removable media and retrieve your data that is backed up.

3. Micah63

Micah63 Registered Member

I used Parted Magic witch comes with TC and when i tryed to mount windows that way and it didn't work. as of right now i can't put the Hard drive in my other pc because i don't have a sata wire and i don't know why it would work on my other pc if it didn't work with parted magic. I cant think of any thing I did that could make TC not work be sides may be shrinking the windows encrypted disk free space to make room from linux but i have logged on windows after that it only messed up once manjaro was done installing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.