TrueCrypt MBR Overwritten

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Yolandre, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Yolandre

Yolandre Registered Member

Good day all,

I made a huge mistake by accidentally overwriting the MBR on a non-system TrueCrypt encrypted drive and now cannot access the encrypted drive. After some searching I stumbled upon https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...te-truecrypt-mbr-need-to-recover-data.349881/, which is close to the problem I have. The only difference is that I created the relevant disc ages ago and never created a TrueCrypt rescue disc. Does anybody have any advice on how I can again access the content of the encrypted drive?

During my searching I also discovered that TrueCrypt is no longer being maintained, which sadly raises a huge doubt with regard to future support, not that I needed support in the past. I use multiple operating platforms (Mac OS X Mavericks, Windows 8.1 Pro and Ubuntu Linux 14.04) and for this purpose standardised all encrypted drives to TrueCrypt, which worked perfectly for my requirements. Is there a worthwhile alternative to TrueCrypt?

Thanks in advance!

2. Yolandre

Yolandre Registered Member

Problem solved... Quite simple in all honesty:
    1. Connected drive
    2. Launched TrueCrypt
    3. Click "Volumes"
    4. Click "Mount Volume With Options"
    5. Select "Use backup header embedded in volume if available"
    6. Click "OK"
    7. Type in password
    8. Click "OK"

Now for the next challenge: restoring the correct header...

I still shall appreciate recommendations for TrueCrypt alternatives which can be hosted on multiple operating systems.

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.