Truecrypt Container 0kb after chkdsk

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by eggbreaker, Jun 15, 2016.

1. eggbreaker

eggbreaker Registered Member

Hello guys,

I've been dual-booting Linux and Windows for 2 years or so. I recently resized a partition (NTFS) on Linux. That partition had a TrueCrypt-Container file. Everything worked fine on Linux and the Container still worked ... until I booted to Windows and chkdsk ran. The ~280GB container became 0KB.

The only thing I want to know is: Could chkdsk have corrupted or deleted the header? I have looked at the current 0kb-file in WinHex and it seems to be in a very different location based on the surrounding data (since it is readable data and not random).

If the header is still okay I should be able to find the header (hopefully) since I know the password and left every setting at default.

If I exclude all sector-ranges of normal files (recognized by windows) on the partition and also sector-ranges from deleted files determined with recovery software, then I should be able to narrow it down a little bit.

Thanks for your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.