Truecrypt Blunder

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by eyecre8, Apr 20, 2016.

1. eyecre8

eyecre8 Registered Member

Wanted to preface this by saying I read through a number of other truecrypt threads here and didn't exactly find a solution. I'm hoping it's not too late. Let me paint the picture:

-There is one hard drive in the machine... referred to going forth as Disk 0

-Created two partitions...one for the OS and one for file storage.

-Installed (windows Server) about a year ago on the C: drive.

-Stored files of importance on the second partition (F: drive)

-Decided at some point to protect that drive and installed truecrypt. It essentially hid the entire F: drive until I mounted it which then made it visible/usable.

-Fast forward a year plus... I wanted to blow out the windows server OS and replace it with Win 7.

-Before doing so, I did a truecrypt volume header backup (saved to another system)

-During Windows setup, tried deleting the C drive/partition to prepare it for a fresh install. Got an error that I hadn't seen before: "cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk is of the gpt partition style"

-The fix for that error was to run 'diskpart' during the windows setup routine. Those steps were:
    -> run diskpart
    -> list disk (find the one you want to convert)
    -> select disk 0 (select the one you want from the list)
    -> clean
    -> exit

-I was then able to create the new C drive partition, but it in the process blew out the F: drive where my truecrypt drive/volume resided.

-Ignorantly, I thought that if I could get the OS up and loaded, that I could run truecrypt, point it to my truecrypt volume header backup and be back in business....this wasn't the case.

-In Disk management, there is a fair amount of unallocated space which used to be my F:drive.

Stuck with what to do....if there is anything that I can do? I managed to have backups of about 2/3rds of the files in that lost volume. I would sure love to get access to the remaining 1/3rd.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. eyecre8

eyecre8 Registered Member

I should have noted, that when I try to load the Truecrypt Volume Header Backup, it lists the volume, the drive, and its correct size. States that its 'Normal'.
    When I try to open or view it however, I receive an error stating: F: is not accessible. Reached the end of the file.
    Two pics here: http://imgur.com/a/kMRJu in case it helps any.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.