TrueCrypt 7.1a auto-dismounting volume

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Harold Robinson, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Harold Robinson

Harold Robinson Registered Member

Hello,

I have a laptop hard drive, TrueCrypt was used to fully encrypt the whole disk. Recently after I type in the password, windows will attempt to boot, then then start windows recovery, which shows no hard drive, because its encrypted.

I removed the hard drive from the laptop and put it into a SATA docking station on a PC that has TrueCrypt 7.1a installed.

I attempted to mount the volume by selecting the 400GB partition, and selecting Mount With out Pre-boot authentication. I used the password I have used for the past few months.

I can see the volume mount, then immediately dismount. with a Warning that the Volume was auto-dismounted.

The exact wording is as follows:

WARNING: TRUECRYPT volume auto-dismounted
    Before you physically remove or turn off a device containing a mounted volume, you should always dismount the voume in TrueCrypt first.

Unexpected spontaneous dismount is usually caused by an intermittently failing cable, drive (enclosure) etc.

I am attempting to mount the volume and recover 5 years worth of data. No there is no backup. What else would you expect ;-)

I have done some searching on this error and it brought me to this forum. I was thinking of a utility that could possibly correct any errors with in the TrueCrypt volume such as "Chkdsk" but I am not finding any right off hand.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Harold Robinson

If you need any more info just let me know.

Thank you.

3. Harold Robinson

Any thoughts on this problem?

4. Harold Robinson

I understand everyone is a volunteer but this request has been open for almost a month with no response. Does this mean no one can help me?

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I guess Dantz is busy, still vacationing, or after helping hundreds here with TC has retired. I think the Dantz posts should have their own subsection in the encryption problems forum. OP I'd search for Dantz posts in this forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.