True Imagebackup but..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Feilding, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feilding

Feilding Registered Member

I am using Acronis true Image version 9.

Really like the program. However, I am having some difficulties. I have many problems with my computer that require me to re-install Windows. Did all the backups before I commenced so all the information is available.

Problem is when I want to restore, the image will overwrite the Windows installation. This I don't want. In this particular installation I want to install a complete new Windows. Is there any way this can be done?

In case you are wondering why I would like to change the Windows installation, I purchased this computer with Windows already installed. In due course I discovered that the copy was not legal and now want to install a new purchased copy. I still want the non-windows data though.

2. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

Could you just restore the last backup with ATI to get the computer back up and running normally, then do a Windows repair with your purchased disk? Not sure if that would have much effect or not on a working version of Windows, but it seems simple enough to give it a try.

The other option is to reinstall Windows from a reformatted disk, then restore just the folders you need from your last working backup. And while you're at it, put all your data folders in a different partition so next time you can just restore the OS and your data folders will remain unmodified.

3. Feilding

re your first part

Windows repair would not install Windows or change the security information required.

As I understand it, Windows uses a Registry which records all details of every program installed. Simply installing programs does not allow them to run under Windows. One of the requirements of any back-up and restore system would have to be the re-installation (or updating) of this registry. It makes no difference where the programs (i.e. the installation files) are stored although Windows expects the executable files to be in the program folder.

I can not see that your method would allow me to run the programs.

4. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

I was a bit brief the first time.

So to be more clear, you only have two choices: 1) recover your old and presumably working image back to your C: drive, along with all the working programs and data files installed on it, and don't worry about the legality of the copy, or 2) format the drive, re-install your purchased version of Windows, and re-install all the programs you had on the original system one-by-one.

If you choose option 2) you can still recover the data files from the original image even if you choose not to use that image to recover the OS. Those files are standalone and do not depend on the OS, and can be placed in any folder on any partition. By data files I mean the files you had created by using the various programs in question, not the files used to run or install those programs.

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

true image can't do what you want. You need a program like laplink pcmover. That's what I use when I transfered programs and settings from one OS to another OS. It'll transfer the registry settings and most of the programs I transfered worked on the new OS with no problems. It won't transfer antivirus or firewall programs, you have tor reinstall those.
    If you don't have the original installation cd's for those programs that might be your only option.

6. Feilding

I was afraid you were going to say that. Unfortunately, I don't think much of the pay per use that Laplink entails so I will look around.

Thank for all your input.

7. df75

df75 Registered Member

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As mentioned before, we can confirm that there are two ways to perform similar recovery:

1. Recover entire image with your operating system, then perform Windows Recovery
    2. Install Windows from scratch, then recover separate files and folders from our image

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.