True Image with Highpoint RocketRAID 1820

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Homers Duals, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Homers Duals

Homers Duals Registered Member

Will T.I.8 be able to see any SATA disks attached to a Highpoint RocketRAID 1820 card when using the recovery CD?

I have seen posts for various other RAID cards, and the replies seem to vary, with some supported and some not.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Homers Duals,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image should work properly with your controller. I would recommend that you download free trial version of Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ and see whether you get any problems with it. Please create Acronis Bootable CD with this trial version and check whether your disks are available there.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Homers Duals

I created a bootable CD (full version) from the trial download (build 796).

I booted the PC from the CD, could see all the disks and partitions, selected one of the partitions for backup and chose a destination partition and filename for the image file.

At this point the software would not proceed any further as it is the trial version.

Can I assume that having got this far with the trial version, that I will be able to create and restore an image file with the full purchased software?

NB I have 3 hard disks attached to the 1820 controller, but none are configured as a RAID array, just separate disks.

4. como

como Registered Member

The latest version is build 800

Quote "At this point the software would not proceed any further as it is the trial version."

I far as I am aware you should be able to create a image, or several if you wish, with the trial version but not restore them

Did you try under windows ?

5. Acronis Support

Hello Homers Duals,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

If you can get to the "Proceed" button (that is greyed out in the trial version) then everything should work on your system. If you download the trial version again you will be able to create Acronis Bootable CD with the latest build and evaluate it as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Homers Duals

Thanks for your guidance.

I have now got the full version (not trial) of TI8 build 800.

I created a bootable CD (full version), and created some images.

I have 4 Windows XP partitions on Disk 1 to avoid mixing video codecs from different manufacturers software (Canopus and Ulead for video editing and DVD burning)

Disk 1 - Partition 3 was imaged to Disk 2, I then restored from the image, and rebooted Windows from partition 3. Everything worked fine and all my customised settings were still there.

Then I created an image of the whole of Disk 1 as a file on Disk 2. I will try deleting the partitions on Disk 1 and restoring from the image file on Disk 2 when I have time. This will test the correct creation of the Master Boot Record etc. Fingers crossed it works, but I would rather test it now than wait until I have spent longer customising my setup without a tried and tested backup procedure.

One thing I noticed was the estimated image file size was 5.2 GB, but when finished, the actual size was about 4.1 GB. Not much use when trying to determine how many DVD-R disks will be required and if a split image file is required.

7. Acronis Support

Hello Homers Duals,

Please be aware that estimated time and image archive size are quite approximate, as different type of data allow different level of compression and require different amount of time to be compressed. So, there's no need to worry about the discrepancy appeared.

As for splitting size you may indicate that the image should be split into parts of desired size and if the whole image is less than the indicated size it will just not be splitted at all. If you burn the image to DVD directly using third-party software the image will be splitted automatically as well.

We do not recommend that you use DVD-R disks because they failed to work properly occasionally and we cannot approve using them. Please use DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD-RW instead.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Homers Duals

'We do not recommend that you use DVD-R disks because they failed to work properly occasionally and we cannot approve using them. Please use DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD-RW instead.'

Are you just referring to problems with DVD-R when burning the image file direct from TI8, or are there problems with reading image files from a DVD-R disk?

I created the image file on a 2nd hard disk, then used Nero 6 to backup the file on to DVD-R. TI8 managed to read this image file from the DVD-R when restoring the image to the hard disk.

Following on from my previous post, I did a full restore of Disk 1 from the image file on a DVD-R disk. I used the Windows XP boot CD to delete all the partitions on Disk 1, then rebooted with the TI8 CD to restore.

All 4 Windows XP boot partitions and the Windows boot menu worked as before. I checked the Windows Event Log and even ran the full disk check including a surface scan on all 4 setups, all of which were error free.

I know that this is what TI8 is supposed to do, but with some users having problems with particular hardware setups, I am just happy that I have a fully tested and working backup procedure for MY hardware.

NB I have 3 hard disks attached to the 1820 controller, but none are configured as a RAID array, just separate disks.

9. Acronis Support

Hello Homers Duals,

Glad to hear Acronis True Image works fine on your system.

As for DVD-R, we do not approve them for using with Acronis True Image. It means that we cannot guarantee that everything will work with DVD-R. Please use formats mentioned above because these were tested and are full supported by Acronis True Image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.