True Image USB drive question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bulloney, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulloney

bulloney Registered Member

I've searched these forums and the internet extensively but haven't found a solution so I'm posting here...

I have an XP machine with 1 physical hard drive partitioned as C: (with OS) and D: (with everything else). I am running True Image ver 7 (yes, I know that's old but I don't think my problem is due to the version I have).

For a few years now I've backed up both C & D using TI - never a problem. I have always put the 2 image files (.tib's) onto a separate USB drive that is designated as H:. Until recently I have NOT had to restore the entire image of C: (ie. recover the operating system partition completely) although I have successfully restored individual files in the past without any trouble.

The other day I had some malware problems that I could not clear so I first tried an XP System Restore - which I could not do, even in Safe mode. So I figured I would try to "restore" my C: TI image.

I booted from my TI Rescue CD (full version with USB support) and it found my .tib file on the USB drive - but it reported that the backup image was found on C: - not on H:!! When I went to the next step - choose destination for image - TI gave me only one option - restore the image to C: drive. Obviously, it then reported that the destination drive could not be the same as the origination drive!!!

Since True Image writes and locates the backup image files via the USB drive I doubt the problem has to due with version 7 - it seems to support USB transfers just fine. The question seems to be - why does the program identify the backed-up image file as being located on drive C: and NOT H:? What causes the drive re-assignment?

Any takers?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bulloney

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

While the Rescue CD may say the Full version has usb support, it may not be able to see the external drive you have because of the particular chipset. Give your drives unique names instead of the default, Local Disk. This way you will be sure which drive is which. The True Image Rescue CD, because it runs Linux, may not give the drives the same letters that you see when in Windows.

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

When you rescue from the CD, the drive designations do not correspond to your designations. If you haven't NAMED your drives I don't know how you could tell one C from another C. But, can you at least expand the branches and perhaps you'll be able to see what' where by the contents.

Find helpful and most important hints by GroverH and don't panic, you'll recover :)

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bulloney,

Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (full version) can display drive letters different from those you see in Windows, because Linux has its own rules of drive naming. Such a situation usually may arise after using partitioning software. This is absolutely normal and there is no need to worry about the difference in drive letters assignment.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.