True Image Home still can't backup and restore Linux Partitions Correctly

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MarkA, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkA

MarkA Registered Member

Hi,

The Title pretty much says it all. I was hoping that this new build would be able to backup and restore a linux partition with grub installed on it. No go. Before the old build could restore the partition, but not with grub. Now. with this new build. the restored partition isn't recognizable to Boot Magic. Drive Image is still ok in both respects. I sure hope this could be fixed. If it could, I could use this product exclusively.

Mark

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic posts removed. Anymore posts of this nature will also be removed without comment.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MarkA,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image program uses a special method of "snapshot" image creation, it doesn't store the standalone files or directories, but saves blocks of hard drive data. When you restore the created image the data can be restored not to the same sectors of the hard drive. Usually Linux loaders writes an information to the specific sectors of the hard drive. Therefore, you may need to reactivate Linux loader after restoration of the image archive.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. MarkA

MarkA Registered Member

Thank you Aleksandr for your reply. I just don't understand why Drive Image can handle this job perfectly and your software can't. This is something I've addressed since I purchased your software, both TI8 and TI9. For almost a year I've posted about this problem. Is this something that can't be done by your engineers? This is a deal-breaker for me. Instead of just using one backup solution, I have to use 2. I know your engineers are smart enough to fix this. Is it that you just won't try? There are a lot of people who also use Linux. Before your latest build, the software would backup the linux partition properly but not the grub boot sector. Now it doesn't backup it up so that a restore is even recognizable, at least to BootMagic, as I already stated. I like your software and want it to be a complete backup solution. Please make this a priority. I'll buy you a pizza if you do. ;)

Sincerely,

Mark

P.S. Other Linux users, please post to this thread so it can be addressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.