True Image backup format.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Marcopio, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcopio

Marcopio Registered Member

I see that True Image uses its own backup format and all of the backups are created in one file *.tib

Is there a way to have the backups either in the *.tib format or uncompressed mirror of the folders and files on the hard drive?

Thanks
    Peace in Christ
    Marco Napoli
    http://www.ourlovingmother.org

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Marcopio,

Perhaps it's because it's getting late and I'm tired but your question just doesn't make sense. Please clarify.

Regards

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I'll handle it for you Menorcaman, get some sleep :)
    Marco,
    If you want uncompressed mirror of folders and files, simply use Windows Explorer to copy them.

4. Marcopio

Marcopio Registered Member

Yes, I should have been more specific sorry.

On my C: Drive
    C:\Folder1\File1.doc
    C:\Folder2\Subfolder2\File2.xls

On my Backup Drive that True Image creates I would live to have a duplicate of the folders and files (in original format)
    Z:\Folder1\File1.doc
    Z:\Folder2\Subfolder2\File2.xls

I am also Ok to choose the True Image backup type
    Z:\MyBackup.tib

I am trying to figure out if I can choose between the two ways of backing up above...

Thanks
    Marco

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Thanks DwnNDrty & Marco. I suddenly see the light!!

TI always saves an image in .tib format, whether it be a Disk/Partition image or Files and Folders image.

However, depending on the version of True Image you are using, there are ways of extracting individual files and folders out of a .tib image.

TI 9.0 - Use the Mount Image function and copy the required files and folders to your HD or select the Restore Files or Folders option.
    TI 10.0 - Use either the Mount Image or Explore Backup Archive function to copy the required files and folders to your HD or select the Restore Files or Folders option.

Regards

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI as Menorcaman said always puts the files into a container file with a .tib extension and as he pointed out you can extract individual files if necessary.

TI does not copy individual files in their normal format to a second location but there are other programs that will do it. One of several is Syncback which I use since I don't like having my only backup of data files embedded in a proprietary format container file.

You can find other data backup and synchronization programs by doing a Google search.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Marco
    In addition to what has already been stated by Menorcman & SeekForever:
    If you are wanting the backup drive to be a replica of the original and the files all in original format, definitely, the suggestion by DwnNDry is workable. As an alternate, another possibility exists--which is a variation to what SeekForever is suggesting.

Goal: 2 drives; 1 Drive C & 2nd backup drive with same content as drive C updated nightly
    1. Create an full disk backup archive (of Drive C & all partitions) using True Image.
    2. Restore the TI archive to the the backup drive. Remove old drive and make sure the backup drive is bootable.
    3. Now you have two identical bootable drives. Then use a free program such as Replicator by Karen Kenworthy and auto-run it nightly (or whenever) to copy any changes to Drive C over to your backup drive. Your backup drive would match C Drive after every Replicator copy operation. You could additionally still keep your ongoing .tib files on the backup drive as you create new .tib backups. You would still definitely need to maintain current copies of your TrueImage backups...should your original drive become compromised by a virus, etc.and that compromise copied over to infect your backup drive.

You do not identify your backup drives. My suggestion would be an internal drive for the backup drive but additionally add an external drive and maintain backup copies of the .tib files on the external drive. External drives are much less secure when constantly attached due to the risk of viruses, electrical surges, etc--it is best to use and disconnect both power & data cables.

This is but one of many ways to achieve your goal of two identical copies. TrueImage does an excellent job of creating backup image archives for recovery purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.