True Image 8.0 ????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by techdev, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello All --

I see there are some questions and doubts about Acronis True Image 8.0 and in fact I do share some of them with you.

First of all, according to our upgrade policy if you purchase the previous version within a month before the release of the new one - you are eligible for a free upgrade. So all customers who fall under that category can request a free upgrade without any hesitation. If (due to some unknown reason) you didn't receive the e-mail you can contact Acronis Support, me or any other person in Acronis in order to obtain the upgrade.

Now a little bit closer to the product itself. Basically, there is only one significant new feature - now your paging and hibernate files are not included in the image, thus problems regarding big incrmentals and generally bigger image sizes are solved. The image verification before the restore can be also helpful if the image is corrupted, as if you begin the restore - there is no way back. Also we've added a better support to some Linux/UNIX filesystems.

Considering what I've written above, I hardly see why it was decided to release a new version at this point, instead of either adding more features to it, or releasing it as an *update*.

I knew the release was coming, but I was informed about the exact features only yesterday, so I was a bit confused myself about it.

As for technical support - indeed it will be focused on the new version, though I can assure you that if the fix for some problems that occur with the 7.0 version will be done in the 8.0 one most likely the upgrade in this case will be for free - at least it's how I'd do it (meaning if I know that customer A has a problem with 7.0 version and a build XXX of the 8.0 has it solved I *will* give the 8.0 version to that customer for free).

Feel free to ask me any questions as usual, I'll do my best to answer them in a timely manner (though I'll be leaving for about a week around August 12 - after that I'll be back to you :p ).

Thank you.

Anton.

2. Ridgerunr

Ridgerunr Guest

Well Anton,
    I suffered an error using your TIv.7 and emailed you trying to get a fix. you can check error #127719 to see what passed between us.
    The answer I received was obviously given very little thought and was of no help. As I said in my last communication,my only recourse was to do a complete uninstall/reinstall to get the program working again.
    Then I get an email today with this offer to 'upgrade' to v.8 for 'only' $29.99?
    I don't 'think' so!
    BootIt is looking better all the time. Perhaps even *cough* Ghost!

3. Acronis Support

Well, the suggestion I offered should have helped... Is it working ok now (That's how i understood your last reply)?

As per your question "Why?" - well - as I said - it should have been related to the Scheduler2 service but probably it was just an installation that went wrong way.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

4. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have had TI over the one month mark but find after reading the 'failed' restores I can't have full confidence that my images although verified and mounted would restore in the event that I really had to. TI was well recommended on another forum but the very ones who recommended it at the beginning have all had problems when trying to restore and ended up re-installing XP :'( No-one will know if their restore will work or not until they attempt to actually employ this part of it.

I thought you could restore individual files and folders with TI7 but is this just a new feature in TI8? o_O Presently I am backing up files and folders for a complete re-install and thought I would be depending on TI but I am also having to manually back up just in case TI will not let me access the data etc I will need after my new install.

I have Acronis Power Utilities also and have not used any of it yet but am confused as to how many other suites are in the range each of them having one bit of the other o_O Drive cleanser included which is now in TI8 o_O

I have been running O&O defrag. for almost 1 year now and they have brought out 2 new versions since then and each time I have had a free upgrade this also applies to Registry First Aid - free upgrades = loyalty to other products.

I really am lost as to the benefits of 'paying' for an upgrade or reverting to Ghost which I am not keen on or finding a backup suite which everyone can have confidence in o_O The last magazine review (UK) seems to have summed the developing Acronis range up in that too many applications are issued as suites and as a result they do not concentrate on getting one feature perfect and reliable :'( I had so much confidence in the ease of use but now I am utterly confused o_O

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  5. wahltho

wahltho Registered Member

Does anybody know if there are any TI internal enhancements to SATA-handling.

My impression is that there are still issues, because I have some problems myself and I am currently not able to clone my SATA-disk for backup purposes to an IDE disk (see separate thread on this issue)?

Any feedback, esp. from Acronis Support would be uttermost welcome.

Best Regards

Th.

6. McDoogie

McDoogie Registered Member

You know what Guys and Gals, there's big money in software, the guy that conceived and developed a better screensaver 'Serene Aquarium' which retails for $19.95 has made millions............sooooo, anybody that can develop a good product and sell millions of copies [i.e. TI6] is going to make even more if he can add subtle enhancements, sometimes that have a few more bugs than the previous version, and market it for $19.95 is going to capitilize on his already trusted customers and make even more money ! So let's get 'Back to the Future' why did you purchase True Image in the first place?...well you wanted a good, easy, trusted, it works, type of Backup Imaging software, which version 6.0 did; so why not pull out the version 6.0 copy and get on with backing up the hard drive at a reasonable frequency, and we all have the time to turn it on and manually do the task right? The grass [somebody else's spouse ?] always look's a little bit greener over there until you get there correct?..........Have a good day everyone !!

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I would like to thank Anton for his long posting.
    I do appreciate it !

Thanks Anton !!!

Regards, Jan.

8. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

FYI Acronis stepped up. Got the upgrade, shouldn't have had to go so far to get taken care of though.

9. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

That's a pretty sad policy if you ask me. I had just bought True Image 7 a few months ago, and was looking foward to a fair amount of free updates in the future. I felt like my copy of TI was brand new, but now feel like its old news and I am being pushed aside to make way for the "new" release that I have to pay to get. I just gave Acronis $50.00, two months ago for TI 7, and being asked to pay again in such a short time frame is pathetic on their part. Yes a company can do business as they see fit, but I assumed that since TI7 was not that old, that a new version would be awhile off yet. People wonder why there is software piracy! Who is the real pirate here?

Tipton

10. f123

f123 Guest

At least we're getting some inputs from someone at Acronis. Some sofware vendors will provide one year of free update if you download/purchase the program from the internet. A good software vendor should allow potential customer to try the full software on his/her PC, without any limitation or restriction. Shareware...all the way!

I don't waste my time with cripped trial software.

F.

11. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

Hey, I know how you feel. I bought Acronis PrivacyExpert 2003 last year and less than 3 months later they came out with a new version.
    I e-mailed support and had a hell of a time getting a reply, they said I was ineligible for any discount on the upgrade price for the new version which is basically the same as the old version with a few minor embellishments.
    I stuck with my old version which does the exact same job and I saved 25 bucks.
    This policy they have has left a very sour taste in my mouth as I have TrueImage and PartionExpert as well, so much for being a loyal customer.

12. ricka47

ricka47 Registered Member

I have to agree that $29.99 for what appears to be a minor upgrade after just paying $49.99 for version 7 is disappointing to me. I always make it a point to upgrade to newest versions, but I doubt that I will shell out the money this time.

It should be free for a certain period of time (maybe a year) and then available at a reduced price (ie, less than $29.99) to present users.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  13. Ripple

Ripple Guest

ricka47,

There is currently no point upgrading to version 8, unless you want to get screwed. So I would wait until it's actually worth getting. That would be around the time they remove the quotes surrounding "version 8". :)

14. Acronis Support

Hello All --

Here is my opinion on whether you need to upgrade or not.

If you don't have any problems with ATI 7.0, if you don't do many incremental backups (the changes to hibernate and paging file affect the size of incrementals), if you don't have JFS (UNIX filesystem) I see no reason to update to Acronis True Image 8.0, because if you will have some problems with ATI 7.0 and this problem will be fixed in ATI 8.0 you will be given a free upgrade - just contact me and I'll provide you with the link and the serial number.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

15. presrc

presrc Registered Member

How do we know which problems have been fixed in Ver 8.0?? Why don't you publish a Version History?

16. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

That should end 90% of the whining with the exception of f123.

17. f123

f123 Guest

So what's wrong with speaking the truth? No one is forcing you to read my posts.

18. mecalvint

mecalvint Registered Member

f123,
    I've seen a lot of posts from you supporting Bootit NG.

Here is my 2cts,

I am in the process of looking for a bullet proof imaging program for a corporate environment.

Ghost was a dud, having different boots for different scenarios (USB, network shares). And I hate having a different boot for different NIC or IP.

DI is slow.

TI is good, when it works. It does live imaging, and it does network imaging, on from one boot.

But when TI does not work, like on some domains, it cannot see all shares, or on some wrkstns, it even crash the machines, it takes forever to get help.

Now to BootIt NG,
    the premise is good, 3 good apps for a low price. But cons:
    1. Have to install on HD. I need to have a real clean image, for cloning.
    2. No network imaging.

I do appreciate the fact that this is a forum when one can share new ideas and opinions on certain topics.

I do wish that TI works all the times though. Going to try TI 8 to see if I can see my network shares.

19. f123

f123 Guest

1.Bootit ng can run on a single floppy. If you want a clean image, then give bootit ng its own partition. We're talking about less than 1MB of HD space. Remember that the program can also non-destructively partition the HD. Bootit also supports DVD burners.

2.Netwoking can be tricky. You may want to post your specific problem to support@terabyteunlimited.com.

20. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Hmmm, tried Trueimage 8 and in my one test, it was both faster and produced a smaller image. Both of which I attribute to skipping the paging file as the difference in size was about equal to the size of the paging file. Well, all other things aside, this is good.

Now, my question would be: is "acpi=off noapic" still applicable and/or sometimes needed in TI 8.0 ??

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  21. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hi,

Alas, I purchased TI 7.0 on June 26 . . . one day late for the free v 8 upgrade. Now, I also purchased their partition manager program on the same day. Maybe someone at Acronis will give me a day's worth of reprieve and let me upgrade to v 8 for free?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jim

UPDATE ------------ August 9, 2004.

Acronis sent me an email with a link and new code for a free upgrade to TI 8.0 (for which I am grateful)!

Thanks, Acronis!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2004
  22. PatG

PatG Registered Member

If you have your paging file on another partition or 2nd hd as I do, then this feature of TI8 is null and void as has been previously mentioned. The "acpi" thingee cleared up for me on the last build to ver 7. Just make a boot cd using the v8 and give it a shot. Please post back w/your findings as others would like to know the results also.

23. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Ok, I have to say that I am impressed with Acronis. I e-mailed the the other day and voiced my concern about having to pay for version 8, when I just bought TI 7 a few months back. Today I received a return e-mail with a free upgrade to version 8. I feel that they stepped up to the plate and did the right thing! Thanks Acronis!

Now if they can just fix the error message that I mention here.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43086

Tipton

24. f123

f123 Guest

Nice to know that Acronis is flexible when it comes to the upgrade policy.

F.

25. 99silvermiata

99silvermiata Registered Member

Made my TI7 purchase on July 10. Emailed support, info, and sales over the course of the last 9 days and I haven't heard any response other than the automated email response from support.

Please advise how I can get the pro-bono TI8 upgrade.

Art
    :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.