True Image 7 doesn´t like DVDs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SystemJunkie, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Does anyone experienced the same. That True Image 7 can´t handle DVDs?

It only accepts CDs. A very great disadvantage is also that it doesn´t create autoboot CDRs like drive image.

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

True Image 9 is just now beginning to become functional in writing direct to DVDs and there are still some issues being posted about plenty in this forum. So, perhaps this is an indication on how far True Image 7 would have been from handling DVDs when it was last built.

3. SystemJunkie

Ah okay good to know that was the reason why it was so cheap to get.

But you know what, I have a good idea, imaging to hd and burning to dvd, should give the same result,
    reading dvd might probably not be so difficult to handle for underdeveloped version 7.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There are a lot of us who consider that method, the so-called 2-step method (create then burn), to be the best way of writing to DVDs. Also, if you can leave the image on your HD and only rely on the DVD as a secondary backup you will find create, verify and restore times much faster than DVDs. IMO, DVDs are a good backup media for longer-term archiving and as a secondary backup for security, other than that they are just a too small, too slow pain. Others may disagree:D

My procedure is to split the image at 1492 MB so 3 tib files fit nicely on a DVD and it will use the more standard iso file system rather than UDF. That is just a personal preference.

Burn the DVD and use the burning program's "verify after burning" feature in case the burn was bad for any reason.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

You may call it that, seekforever, but I've learned that your "personal preferences" are not to be taken lightly. :D

So, are there any pitfalls to be wary of using UDF on DVD+R ?

I'm asking that because Roxio EMC Basic defaults to UDF 1.02 and Joliet Bridge when I select the Copy Files funcion and I would rather not change those settings without knowing the consequences of the various combinations available. And the Help in my Basic edition does not work.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Ahh, if only my wife would listen to me:D :D :D

Where I first came across this was in Nero which popped up a warning that if I wrote my >2GB file it would use UDF and some systems may not be able to read it. XP was OK and the TI recovery Linux environment can because they allow splits >2GB. I think DOS and W98 were problematic but I can't be certain.

I think TI has a problem with some later packet writing versions (somewhere around 2 or later). I certainly not an expert in this and in fact, I find it very confusing and it is not too hard to see why the CD never really was a true floppy disk replacement. So my personal preference is to stay with a lowest common denominator format that works.

If you don't want to change your Roxio setting then by all means don't. However, you will want to write a backup archive to DVD using your settings and then at least verify it with TI in both Windows and the Linux rescue environment; especially the latter.

And as I always say, use your burning software's "verify after burning" feature to make sure your burn is good.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Thank you seekforever,

We are all in the same boat, I'm afraid. :D

The DOS and W98 uncertainty is something I can easily accept (not to belittle DOS - I stayed with it until XP, bearing pressures stoically).

WinXP and rescue environment response I tested, of course. But now that you make me think of it, I'll try also an XP system bare of any DVD burning software, though I think that could be problematic in regard to Drag-to-Disk only and I have mine disabled.

My regards to Mrs. seekforever. :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  8. SystemJunkie

thanks for info seekforever, I agree with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.