Trouble with viruses and AV softwares...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TROUBLE!@, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TROUBLE!@

TROUBLE!@ Guest

My friend had his PC infected by many viruses and spywares...

Scan with Kaspersky faund 1732 viruses and was able to clean&delete 1716.... there was around 16 diferent viruses detected.

1 after that

PANDA 2005 faund 316 infected files including and spywares

after that system was still infected because CPU was on max all the time & many active process..

Than i run HijackThis and deleted all except AV. It speed-up system a bit.

2 after that

Pc-Cillin online scan found 0 viruses

3 after that

BitDefender found 34 infected files but mostly .tmp and there was no executable file..

4 after that

EWIDO - it found 16 files infected by 2 spywares

still IE wont go, just pop-ups... We were burn these software on CD with diferent machine and than instlling them.

5 Ad-Aware found 642 files and on second scan it could nod delete 13 files E2G..

6 Was lucky to find GIANT, it found 1683 files, removed all but also was unable to remove some files after three scans

7 SpySweeper after all of this found 687 traces, deleted all except 2 files

8 NOD32 - found 4 trojan downloaders and one unknown virus, than I went to msconfig/startup to look up for file names that was listed there, found all of them that was still in system and sent them all to Eset because probably this computer have some new parasite or virus.

Did I miss any software or all of these are unable to find todays threats?

All software were fully updated before scan and system restore was disabled before we started all of this.

We will wait few days more and see if NOD32 would fix the problem, othervise I offered to him to delete Windows and install Linux :)

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Was there any Firewall and/or Anti-Virus before you made this first scan with Kaspersky?

PS. What a pearl to pick them all to my infected samples collections! :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I don't know if I'd be bothered to try and clean that one.....I think i'd save what data I could....wipe and reinstall.
    Buck.

5. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

HI i agree with BigBuck, a reformat will save u further problems.

There are most lightly legit files that have been corrupted by the malware, also modified programs that might not work properly.

If you do format have a good AV (Nod32 is an excellent 1) and Firewall installed before u do any windows updates or downloading.

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

7. Moko

Moko Guest

It would be best, imho, to copy any data that you would not want to lose, like game scores; addresses; etc., and reformat/reinstall the OS. Today's malware is almost impossible to irradicate.

Remember, prevention is based on your decisions. Run AV, FW, and spyware shields while making an effort to stay away from questionable websites, downloads, and email.

Good luck,
    Moko

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If those scanlogs have restored, there you have an excellent part of REAL WEB WORLD ItW list that will leave all other lists in the shadow. Just curious to know how big part of those infections are in the official ItW list just now?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

This is a really infected computer!!! :D

How can your friend used the computer with this number of infections!?

10. TROUBLE!@

TROUBLE!@ Guest

He told me its very slow. I went there and you have to wait 5 minutes to be able to browse web page and just one at the time, it mean you could open one page and than you have to close all IE windows to be able to open another one....

In last 2-3 months he used just MSN Messenger :)

He had installed Norton 2004 but something damaged it and there was just Symantec folder..

11. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Reinstall for him....lock it down tight with some good security apps....and then point him toward Wilders.

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Where is the fun in that! To bad you did not document more of what you were able to kill with each program (maybe you did) :eek:

After all of this try an Trojan killer of choice and then follow bigbuck's advice that is what I would do. The only bug I ever got destroyed my AV too. I feel his pain I caught it quick tho. Let us know how this turns out. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.