Trouble with roadrunner connection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Lerrad, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lerrad

Lerrad Registered Member

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my internet connection using ESET Smart Security.

First of all I'm using Time Warrner Cable (Roadrunner high speed internet), running Windos XP pro, with the latest version of Eset Smart Security 3.0.684.0.

I usually turn my cable modem off, when I'm not using it. The problem is that sometimes I have trouble getting a connection with Internet Explore or Outlook Express if my system sits idle for a while. After trying over and over I may eventially get a connection, if not I can get a connection if I disable the firewall. Then I can enable the firewall and evrything is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
    Lerrad

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I would uninstall ESET Smart Security clean the registry with Ccleaner and reinstall ESET Smart Security. I also have Road Runner and a Comodo CSI Firewall I went through a two week peroid with no connection at all, I had one troubleshooting tech visit after he left I found the problem. I reinstalled TCP/IP and uninstalled my Comodo CSI firewall cleaned the computer with Ccleaner and reinstalled the firewall. Not a problem since I reinstalled the Firewall:D

3. Lerrad

Lerrad Registered Member

Thanks for responding.

This is a brand new computer, so I see no need to clean the registry. Estet has already been uninstalled per Esets instructions, and then I reinstalled the latest verision, downloaded from the web site.

It appears that this probably has something to do with communications with my modem. I set Este to log all, and following is a sample of the log file. The problem is, I'm not sure what to allow.

Get dozens of these every few seconds even with the modem shut off.
    Comm denied by rule, S=76.181.53.249:137, T=76.181.63.255:137, UDP, Block NETBIOS Name Service requests System NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Both the source and target above belong to my isp roadrunner. Why would they want to communicate with Netbios?

I also get a few of these, but not as often:
    No usable rule found, S= 10.88.192.1:67, T=255.255.255.255:68, UDP

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I found that Road Runner needs Netbios for communications, I left whatever service for netbios in services connected and diabled Netbios on the advanced property page for TCP/TP on the WINS tab

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Is your computer connected directly to the Time-Warner Road Runner cable service modem, or is there an intermediary device, such as a residential gateway (router) installed between the cable modem and your computer?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. Lerrad

Lerrad Registered Member

Hi agoretsky,

The computer is connected directley to the cable modem. I'am not using a router.

Thanks
    Lerrad

7. agoretsky

Hello,

Does it make any difference if you open a Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and issue an "IPCONFIG /RENEW ALL" after applying power to the cable modem but before running any network-aware programs (web browser, email client and so forth)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. Lerrad

Lerrad Registered Member

This made no difference at all.

I'm just going to leave the cable modem on all the time, no big deal.

Thanks for all you help!

Lerrad

9. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

Lerrad.. you should try "Alpha Shield" Secure Networking. I have this unit attached between the cable and my computer. I can turn off my cable by just pressing a tab on the unit. I just saw this unit at ebay for 50 dollars and I paid about 120 dollars 8 years ago. I have Road Runner cable and it
    works perfectly with it. Google it first and read about it.

10. agoretsky

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind is that when a computer is connected directly to the Internet, the Internet is connected directly to the computer. That means that if the computer has a vulnerability in its operating system, services, applications or other programs running, malware or a hacker might be able to exploit it by connecting directly to the computer.

You might want to consider is placing a residential gateway router with an integrated Ethernet switch between the cable modem and your computer. The router creates a private, internal network for the computers plugged into it and allows them to talk to each other as well as make outgoing connections to the Internet through the cable modem. Inbound connections are blocked, though, which prevents your computers from being probed by others on the Internet.

Having a private network is less useful if there is only a single computer on it, but you could add more computers or other devices in the future. The important part is to break the direct "end-to-end" connection the computer has to the public Internet to decrease its vulnerability.

If you run programs such as game servers which require incoming network connections, most routers can be configured to allow incoming connections on specific TCP and UDP ports so this will continue to work. Other programs, such as instant messaging, email, web browsing, Skype and so forth initiate an outgoing connection, so there should be no issue with these.

Typically, residential gateway routers start at $20.00USD or so for a model with four switch Fast Ethernet (10/100Mbps) ports. Models with integrated Wi-Fi or faster Gigabit Ethernet cost more, but if you have no need of these features, then you have an inexpensive wave of complementing your other information integrity measures (anti-virus, backups and so forth).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.