trojan trouble

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Erik Austin, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Austin

Erik Austin Registered Member

I've got rid of Norton and I'm trying out NOD32. Seems to be pretty good but I'm having issues with trojans.
    Is there more to getting rid of a trojan than simply deleting the file? Why can't NOD32 deal with them?
    I think I've screwed up my system by deleting a .dll file that NOD32 said was a trojan. (probably answers my last question)
    Being inexperienced I didn't take note of the filename or where it was located. I just clicked 'delete' and thought everything would be sweet.
    The nod logfile is limited to 100k and had already wiped out the info I needed. Why isn't it 150k? I did too many nervous scans before realising what was up...
    Bugger!

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Erik Austin, welcome to Wilders. Did you by chance happen to tick Quarantine before deleting the file in question? If so, you can restore what was deleted.

Cheers :D

3. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

4. Erik Austin

nod trouble

Thankyou very much for that info.

No, no quarantine but I found the virus log. The file was eplrr3.dll - something that's definitely not needed.

I'm doing that fsc scan right now just in case.

Bad news though, nod32 is causing the crashes according to microsoft online crash analysis.

It's a shame cos I was really considering purchase. I'm using the trial version and I'm not going to buy something if it randomly crashes my system!

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Re: nod trouble

Erik,

Form the Sophos site:
    Given this, the prudent question is ask is whether there are additional compromises in the system. Installing a new application on a compromised system can yield unpredictable results, this is true of any application. You've already started through with the Windows system file checker. That's a good start to stabilize the situation. I would also recommend that you walk through all the steps of Blackspears General Cleaning Instructions when sfc is complete.

Blue

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Most AV's will struggle both with the detection and cleaning of trojans compared to Antitrojan software.

Once you know you are clean, if you are a surfer of high-risk sites, think about supplementing NOD with a good AT program.

7. Erik Austin

No problems since that last one on Friday.

Got rid of that ObjectDelayLoad reference to eplrr with regedit. The other one had already been removed.

Thanks for the help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.