Trojan.Agent

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by kelkay, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

OK, just downloaded the text file from the Malware Bytes forum, at the post referenced above by JRViego (thanks for that!).
    If that is indeed your post, the contents of the read me are:
    If you still have MalwareImmunizer on your system, I recommend you disable all immunity prior to running any scans with any other scanner.
    I'm thinking it's far more likely you don't have this software still installed, or at least active, and if that is the case, you can simply delete that folder.
    Recommend you restore the folder views to default after you have done this.

MalwareImmunizer is one I have tried, long ago. Is of somewhat questionable and limited value, since it will only cover a tiny percentage of the malware around, and I don't know if it's ability to block that percentage has been tested in a meaningful way. It claims to work by loading these harmless txt files in a folder with known malware names as the title, so as to fool any attempt by a trojan to install itself that it is already installed, when of course, it is not. Terry, the developer, was based in Singapore. Seems a nice enough guy, and well motivated, but lacked the resource required to develop this idea. Perhaps that's as well; it was pretty much doomed to fail.

Bottom line, you're clean. :)

2. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

Yes, that was me.

3. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

Okay here is the file. I think I had the program you are talking about, but removed it later on...

Attached Files:

4. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

I did a search on Malware Immunizer. I did not find it. Also I looked under Add/Remove programs, and it is not there.

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Someone, sometime, has had Malware Immunizer installed on that computer.
    Since you have on the 'pooter a txt file with that in the title, your search didn't work.
    (Unless you already deleted that folder?)

Search in hidden and system needs to be enabled.
    Let us know if you find any more of those read-me's.
    I doubt there'd be many more, or MBAM and maybe NOD would have nutted off more during scans.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

You're welcome, Tarq57!

kelkay, looks like this is a remnant of a program you had and if your PC is not acting weird, it's just a false positive. Like Tarq57 is saying, if your Add or Remove Programs does not have the Show updates box checked, you might not be seeing Malware Immunizer in the program list.

7. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

The show updates box was ticked, I think by default. I didn't realize there was such a box until you told me. Thank you for all the help folks. I really appreciate it! :)

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

More than welcome.:)
    (By trying to help, we learn more, too.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.