Triple boot?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gerardwil, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

I have on my C drive 2 OS's: Suse 10.3 and XP. When booting up I choose one of these via Grub.
    Now I like to install Ubuntu 7.10 as well on this drive. Any difficulties I can expect doing so?
    TIA,

Gerard

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

PM wilbertnl: I'm pretty sure he has done similar
    I'm only dual boot, theoretically this (triple boot) is possible.

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Just make sure you have a partition for everything. You can actually share the swap space if you want to for the two linuxes. I have had over 4 OSs on my disk at a time on a 40 GB disk, so it is definitely possible. You may have to do some work with grub, but Ubuntu might do everything automagically for you, I don't have any experience with it in a while, so I can't help you out there.

Make sure if anything goes wrong with the partitions or with grub that you should panic, but as far away from your computer just to get the stress out of your system. Then, come back, boot up a livecd, and try restoring grub, backing up data, etc.

Good luck and have fun :D

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have installed multiple operating systems: Windows XP + Windows 2000 + Solaris 10 + BSD + Linux.
    When you install Ubuntu, you can use the same swap partition that SuSE is using. For the other partitions (/, /home) you need separate partitions.

To accomplish that, I usually setup the partitions myself, as opposed to let the installer manage it. (select expert partitioning instead of guided partitioning). I'm not crazy about resizing partitions, I assume that it works, though.

Is SuSE installed in one partition or do you have several partitions?

Oh, Grub gets reinstalled with a new menu.lst. You need to edit the menu.lst to add SuSE to it (Just mount the SUSE partition and append the old menu.lst. Some installers recognize other installed linux distro's and modify the menu.lst automatically. I don't remember what Ubuntu is doing.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'm using xp, ubuntu and suse on one of my machines. Almost exact setup. No prob whatsoever. You can check my grub tutorial, got a screenshot of my grub there.
    Mrk

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thanks guys :)

Gerard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.