Trial Version?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by JerryM, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I hve downloaded a free version of PG. Is this a program that a common user can insdtall and use without getting into a lot of complications or trouble?
    I have Script Defender. I seem to remember that they do not do the same thing.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

Give it a try. Read the installation instructions.

1) Make sure it is in Learning Mode.
    2) Launch your common applications so that they are given permissions. Make sure you include all of your security apps and do at least one update in learning mode.
    3) Go through at least three re-start cycles.
    4) Then turn off Learning Mode and go into standard mode.
    5) If you do any Windows Updates, make sure you go back into Learning Mode.
    6) If you do any application updates, you will be asked to give permission again. Alternatively, you can put PG temporarily into Learning Mode again, while you are installing any app updates.
    7) The licensed version has the rootkit, global services (e.g.keylogger), service installation protection features.

That's it. You are protected. Whenever you start up a new program, you will be asked for permission. If something starts up unexpectedly - look out! :) PG will protect you from unauthorized program execution as well as a host of other things.

Let us know how it went - positives and negatives.

Rich

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Jerry,

Process Guard does much more than what Script Defender does. My suggestion is this.

Try the free version for the 30 days. (Note: It does not have all the full features as the paid version).

Install it in learning mode, make sure you run all your apps, updates, security suite(s) etc etc. Make sure you have gone through all of the help file, as well as reading this .

Also, make sure you have gone at least 2 or 3 reboots before taking PG out of "learning mode".

As for ease of use, I would say once it's set up, it is fairly easy to maintain. I would read through all the posts here regarding that topic.

HTH,

Jag

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I may install it tomorrow. If I find myself in trouble I'll holler.

Jerry

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

One other thing. You probably should temporarily disable any security apps, particularly if they are guarding the registry - e.g. RegDefend, RegRun, etc. In the past, this has caused some installation issues. I never tried installing under Safe Mode, but this may also be an option.

Rich

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks again. I haven't installed it yet, and I appreciate the instructions and cautions.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.