Trendnet firewall router

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ccsito, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I sure looks as if it would do what you are wanting one for.

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I wonder why all (or nearly all of them) are wireless? I know that many users link different PCs throughout a building so getting access through a common point is desirable. But I have rarely found a hard wired router. I guess manufacturers don't make them that often (or at least they are rarely listed in sales ads).

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

At least with the wireless routers you can turn the wireless off if not needed.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Even the routers that advertise as wireless, will still have ports for direct wired connection.

Looking, for example, at the "TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless N-Draft Firewall Router" this, if you look at the specs will show "4 x 10/100Mbps Auto-MDIX LAN Port and 1 x 10/100Mbps WAN Port (Internet)".
    The 4 x 10/100 are the hard wire connections for the LAN

6. awsomaha

awsomaha Registered Member

Considering everything is going wireless, most likely the "wired" router will be going to the way side, at some point. As bigc73542 had mentioned, I would just get a wireless router and then disable the wireless part if you don't need it.

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I do not think they will be able to completely remove a hard wired LAN connection, this is needed for initial setup and for any future bios upgrades.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Really cheap routers often have nasty firmware. I would get a Linksys WRT54GL, which is good out of the box, or can run Tomato or DD-WRT firmware. They cost about $60. Buffalo used to be the best deal, but they are no longer available in the US due to a patent dispute, unless you can find one left over somewhere.

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

In my corporate environment, all LAN connections are hard wired. There are no wireless connections for any of the PCs. Security is probably one reason as well as allowing for easier updates.

The router that Stem makes a reference to appears to require that you set up rules just like a software firewall or are they pre-set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.