Trend Micro 2008 Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The One, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The One

The One Frequent Poster

just received trend Micro 2008 pro to test.
    First look is very ok.!!!!!:)

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

such a good review the one :D

please continue.........

3. The One

The One Frequent Poster

haha I'll try. I'm always short on words ;)

Pro contains:
    * regular Internet Security Suite
    * File Lock
    * Total recovery
    * Tune up

4. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

... :D

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I am downloading it right now and will give it a whirl. I beta tested TMIS '04-'06 and got free subscriptions for three years, lol. I never had a bad problem with TM's betas except in '06 when one of the processes ate up CPU cycles.

Plus if you return the XLS feedback form in time you might win some money :D

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually i hate everything that has yearly concept. 2007 this, 2008 that, 2009...
    It's just lame. Don't you have anything else to justify new version other than new GUI and new year number? :rolleyes:

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

but does it matter if they offer a free upgrade?

i think panda need to re-think their sales techniques with this matter.

8. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

To me it doesn't matter name or year it is as long it is protecting me. some work better for me than others. And only one is the winner for me...

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Has RejZoR always been this grouchy? ;) :D

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Maybe this deserves its own thread rather than discussing it here, but I do know a lot of people who think a software is getting "old" and "outdated" technologically if they don't push out a new version every 1 year or so. Over the years, marketing teams have really tried their best to spread it around that "new years version is bigger, better, faster than anything else" crap, and from what I see, people do buy into it.

So say I have a good AV that works, my friends are more than likely to say "Dude! The last version was released sometime in 2005....updating's not gonna do you any good, its outdated to the core".

It would seem that more and more companies want to go this direction instead of educating people that just because someone releases a new version every year doesn't mean the technology is miles ahead of the competition!

11. midway40

I would like to add to The One's exhaustive analysis ( :D ) on TMIS '08 with my own experience.

During installation I was informed that a TM add-on program I installed, Firewall Booster (which supposed to use Vista's FW enhancements--whatever they are), was not compatible with the Beta and it canceled the installation. Ok I thought, no big deal. I tried 4 times but FB would not uninstall. It would say something like "performing uninstall" for a while then the window would disappear and I would see a lot of HD activity but nothing else happened. I go back into Add/Remove programs and FB would still be there. So I went in search of an third party uninstaller on Tucows. I found one, Cleanse Uninstaller, which claimed to remove the most stubborn programs and it did do the job. Now I was ready to install the Beta.

Installation went without any problems. If you like red you will love TMIS '08, lol (btw lodore, how do you feel about red? :D ). It has more red in it than past versions. The second thing I noticed is that they have finally changed the "Blue Pill" icon in the systray to the company logo (red orb with a white arrow swirling around inside it--EDIT, now I see it is not an arrow but a lower case "t"). New options include the ability to set up and control other TMIS protected computers in your home network. I noticed that OneCare 2.0 beta and NIS '08 had this as well so this may be the new "thing" with upcoming suites. Since I just have a single computer this is useless to me.

More new features include what One touched on in his post which are part of the Pro package. Unfortunately these features are not present in the beta as when I tried to click on the Upgrade to Pro button all I got was a webpage telling us beta users that these new features will be available after the final is released. Personally I do not like the big "Update to Pro" button on the main console because it makes TMIS look, for lack of better words, incomplete. It kind of reminds me of AdAware or such programs promoting a better version of the program. I think they need to put it somewhere else or make it less conspicuous.

I did the full computer check which took 1 3/4 hours on my machine scanning around 45GB. This is slow compared to NIS (45 mins) but doesn't matter to me because I tend to scan at times when I won't be around the computer (like before going to bed at night).

Next I began performing the tests described in the .xls script TM provided. During these tests I ran across the only bug so far--for some reason the icon in the systray disappeared and had to reboot to get it back. The problem has not reappeared since however. I completed the script and sent it to TM's beta team.

I identified 9 processes belonging to TM with the total usage of around 32Mb. TM has always been a little "heavy" in this area and I was hoping for improvement here (EDIT: in retrospect, it has improved as I now remember one version used over 50Mb but still far from light). I haven't really experienced any kind of sluggishness, however. For the first time the Anti-Spam toolbar showed up in Windows Mail, it did not work in the '07 Vista version.

I hope that detection has improved as TM's detection rate as been around the 90-92% range.

That is all I have for the moment. I was about to reinstall '07 anyway because I was getting tmproxy errors which shut down my internet connection. So thanks to The One for the heads up, this was perfect timing :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  12. midway40

I had to take TMIS '08 off because of a few annoying bugs. First my HP software quit working and then when I went to check my mail or browse newsgroups the Windows Security window comes up and I have to type my username and password every time.

Anyway, looking through some receipts I had I found out that I was mistaken about purchasing F-Secure IS '07 back in early September last year. Instead it was early October so I installed FSIS on the computer for now.

13. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Thx midway40 for the mini review :cool: :thumb: - Been to laisy to test it myself :D

14. midway40

I received an email from TM announcing that the latest 2008 beta build now includes the Pro Services:

Remote File Lock
    System Tuner
    Transaction Protector
    Total Recovery

Since NIS '08 is now back on my computer I am not interested in betas for the time being. I posted this in case of others who may be interested.

15. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I'm out of testing Trend it is rather ok but but going to try NIS 2008 now

16. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

I've found that "Recovery module" uses Farstone RestoreIt technology. A file from "recover module" folder:

Attached Files:

• rit.JPG
      rit.JPG
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
  17. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

trendmicro have launched their 2008 line of products.....

18. midway40

It appears that TM has entered the "All-in-One" arena with OneCare, 360, et. al. with the Pro edition.

Trend Micro 2008 products

19. Arin

Arin Registered Member

The known issues look really scary. Perhaps they could've waited a little longer. I'll wait untill their next version is out.

20. Legendkiller

quite alarming,if thats the correct word,but i will install it,lets see...........but what makes me doubt it is the date of the document........ie...17th sept and not today's date...

21. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I thought that was scary particularly the non removeal of spyware after the program has told you it has been removed...the keep it simple method should work here. These kind of programs confirm the layered approach to security...

22. Graystoke

Trend Micro IS 2007 had a MS Vulnerability Scan option. Does the 2008 version have it?

23. Legendkiller

yes it does...

24. Graystoke

Thank you.

25. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

nevermind, after reboot the context menu is there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.