Travel - Clone or Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by whyvon, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whyvon

whyvon Registered Member

Hi!

I am wondering if I can use this product as a copy of my hard drive while I travel?

I would like to copy my entire HD onto a Backup Hard Drive and then hook up the Backup Hard Drive to a laptop to access the info.

I have read about cloning vs imaging and think I want a clone - but can you provide more info? Steps needed? Precautions?

Also, I read somewhere "Make sure your disk imaging and backup software can restore the image of your old computer to new, dissimilar hardware." Can True Image do this?

Many thanks!

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You won't be able to run your windows image on another system, it probably wouldn't boot due to the different hardware and even if it did boot your product key will not work on that system. You can backup software and files and access them from another system.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If it is your data files you want to access, just use Windows Explorer to copy them to what you are calling your backup hard drive. Is this drive a usb type? If so then you can simply connect it to your laptop and the files will be accessible without any need for True Image.

4. whyvon

whyvon Registered Member

Hmmmm -

Well I'm not very technically savvy - so bear with me here.

I guess that's what I want to do - back them up using True Image onto a back up hard drive. Then access them from a laptop while traveling.

Can this be done - and if so - are you saying I should "back up" an image - not clone? (whatever that means - I read it somewhere).

Thanks!

5. DwnNdrty

You're making it unnecessarily complicated by wanting to use True Image to copy data on to another drive so that you can use a laptop to access those data files.

6. whyvon

whyvon Registered Member

Thanks - didn't see your earlier post. I suppose for that matter if it was only data files I wanted I could copy them onto a CD.

The problem is I wanted my Outlook, with access to all it's aliases, signatures and folders.

What would you suggest for that?

Many thanks!

7. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

I think it would be better to configure Outlook on your laptop (the one you travel with) to keep the e-mails on a server rather than on the laptop drive. In addition, you can move your Outlook data (e-mail, contacts, calendar, etc) to your laptop using Outlook build-in options. Check this instructions, for example.

In addition, you can create an image of the disk/partition (using Backup->My computer option of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home) and store this image on the Backup Hard Drive (i believe it's external USB drive). Then using Mount Image tool of True Image mount the image and access the data. Note that you will need 2 (two) licenses of the product in this case. Thus, it is better to follow DwnNdrty's advice and just copy necessary data to the backup drive (via Windows Explorer).

8. DwnNdrty

If Outlook is anything like Outlook Express then you can export your messages and address book to a file, copy the files to your laptop (or put them on the external drive) then import them into the laptop's Outlook. And from then on, as Kento said, configure the Outlook on the laptop to leave the messages on the server so when you download them on the laptop, they will still be available for you to download on the desktop when you return home.
    Other data files you can certainly copy them on to a CD to travel with, but any changes you make will have to be saved to the laptop or external drive.

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The best way to synchronize a laptop with a PC is to use a synchronization program [​IMG].
    There are many available some being free. A Google will find plenty from which to choose.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.