Tracing route Hardware Error

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Kegel, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Tracing route to 63.208.194.38

1 0ms 0ms 0ms [192.168.1.1]
    2 ****** ****** ****** Hardware Error

Is there a reason why, whenever I try to do a trace route, I get this error? I am thinking it might have something to do with my firewall? I dont use a software firewall...just a Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall/Router. Should I open ports or something?

Whenever I close PE, my connection to the internet stops for a few seconds as well. Is there a way to prevent this? It always comes back but I lose it for 10 seconds at times. I am on a cable connection.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Some firmwares for the BEFSX41 traceroute would not work, which includes the last official release on their web site - 1.50.18

One discussion on firmware 1.50.18 including traceroute issues:
    [wired] BEFSX41 firmware 1.50.18 - POST YOUR RESULTS HERE

A discussion on the current beta 1.51.0 which is receiving mixed reviews (traceroute works):
    [wired] BEFSX41 Firmware 1.51.00 - POST YOUR RESULTS HERE

If you manage to wade through the above you would have seen reference to this firmware many still use:
    [wired] BEFSX41 firmware 1.45.7

Regards,

CrazyM

3. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Great site. Thanks. Yes, I am using the latest firmware form the Linksys site. Would never have thought of that....thanks again. Is it a probelm to downgrade the firmware? Do I risk trashing my router?

Oh yeah....and I think this must be the cause of the probelm I was having with PE. When I would close PE, my internet connection would disconnect for approx 10 seconds. I bet it was my router rebooting after my failed traceroutes?

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Should not be a problem. Do you have the TFT utility? (available on their ftp site)
    If you have any custom settings note them down somewhere before doing anything as you will loose them. After changing firmware in the configuration select factory defaults/apply and do a long reset and/or power cycle the router.

The traceroute problem would cause a soft reset of the router which would result in the loss of you connection briefly.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.