TPF 5.0: Simple Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DavidH, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidH

DavidH Registered Member

Hello,

Can the "internet firewalling" be de-activated in TPF 5.0? In the past, I experimented with Tiny Trojan Trap when the firewall and sandbox were separated, but now I do not have that choice. I would like to disable the "internet firewalling" capability and just use the "application firewalling/sandboxing". I normally run Outpost and System Safety Monitor, so my interest in TPF 5.0 is simply curiousity and the chance to play with something new. I just want to see how much has changed since Version 3.0.

Thanks for any feedback. :)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I haven't tried to actually install it yet, however, I've been reading posts about it and it appears that, as with version 4.0 and 4.5, you can still install just the sandbox pieces and skip the firewall.

Tiny Software has a forum specifically for TPF 5.0 at:

http://www.tinysoftware.com/forum

Note that you have to register to use that forum. Here is a direct link to a post where someone asked a question but prefaced it with: "I did not install the Firewall part because for the moment I only want to try the sandbox..."

http://www.tinysoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=13

Looks like it's still possible.

3. AAP

AAP Registered Member

Hi,LowWaterMark

You know i just had a look at that site & was
    thinking yes i do that sometimes now you know
    i am going to buy TTT3 but if i get the FireWall
    will TTT3 come with it is this Right if so what do
    you think go for all of it or stay with Kerio & buy
    TTT3 is the FireWall any good i would hate to get

the FireWall just to have TTT3 so please tell me
    what you think would be a good idea i have no
    problem buying the FireWall if it is not hard to work
    is anyone here using the FireWall if so tell me what
    you think of it well please let me know
    you all have a great weekend & stay safe all

Good luck :)

4. DavidH

DavidH Registered Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and bought a copy of TPF 5.0 and I will probably sign up to their forums. I hope that I can find some recent documentation. The last time I checked, the latest manuals were for Version 4.5. Anyway, $50 for TPF is not so bad. I will try to install just the sandbox when I get home. I only had one problem with it last time. It only allowed audio on the Yahoo Launch music site. I could never get the video to work. But, that is just a configuration issue and I am sure it can be resolved with a little hard work on my end. Thanks again.

5. LowWaterMark

A few separate general answers in random order...

From what I've read, there is no manual or documentation available for TPF 5.0 at this point. It may be a while before that comes, but, I don't know for sure.

TPF 5.0 is still in Beta at this time, and they appear to be releasing updates every few days or so. Reading at their forums will tell you just what things are being worked on and fixed as they occur.

AAP - In my opinion, the greatest strength of TPF is its Sandbox. From threads at their forum and from other people I trust who have played with it, the firewall may be better in TPF 5.0 than it was in the 4.X series, but it may not be the top of the line packet filter available. But, people still seem to be able to use the sandbox from TPF 5.0 and a separate firewall (like Kerio, Outpost, etc.), so, if you go with TPF 5.0 then you ought to be able to do the same.

As to what to buy, I can't begin to truly advise you on that, since for one thing I don't know if it is even possible to buy a TTT license anymore. I know it's not generally available, but, I don't know if contacting Tiny would help (re: can you buy TPF 5.0 today and use that license on the older software until the newer versions are stable/final release?). I just don't know.

As I've said, I have bought TPF 5.0, but still use TTT3 until I get word from others that TPF 5.0 is truly ready. (I have only 1 good machine, and I don't want to test new betas on it every few days.)

6. DavidH

DavidH Registered Member

Hi Mark,

Hmmmmm. I thought it was public. On their site is a news update for August 5 saying that TPF 5.0 was going to be split into TPF 5.0 Desktop and TPF 5.0 Server and that TPF 4.5 was being discontinued. Either way, it is no big deal. I will be interested to see the changes made since 3.0, especially the interface.

7. LowWaterMark

By the way, it's not Mark. LowWaterMark is just a nickname. ;)

Yeah, it's still in a rapidly evolving beta test cycle. I've seen the Aug 5 release, but they are still calling it beta in the forums, and even the first release announcement played down the fact that it was in beta. But, I don't think it's that big a deal.

8. DavidH

DavidH Registered Member

OK, thanks for the info on TPF. I appreciate it.

Sorry about the name thing. I just assumed your name was Mark. ;)

Have a great weekend. :D

9. LowWaterMark

;)

>> Have a great weekend.

You too!

10. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi DavidH,

I have TPF5 with all modules installed and you can disable any combination of modules and they will remain disabled across reboots. I know this is not quite you were asking but I have never attempted installation of only some components.

Also, you will find that the DOCs are lacking although they are slowly putting some guidelines on their forums.

Also, they just released a newer build (119:cool: today so you may want to check if you have the latest. They have been releasing updated builds on the order of about one a week.

HTH,

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.