totally lost

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by another newb, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. another newb

another newb Guest

just got process guard. i've read read the help files and browsed the forums. i also checked out Andeas' site. still confused on how to set-up pg. should all programs be protected against "termination", "modification", and "reading"? how do i know which programs need to acces physical memory? should i just check all the boxes for every program? i need more help understanding this program, any advice would be appreciated.

2. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

If you have a newly set-up PC (or configuration which you trust), then just install PG, reboot. PG will be in the learning mode. Do your usual stuff like surfing, opening documents. When you are done, reboot again. PG will then go into protected mode with learning mode off.

If you have a PC which has stuff which may be questionable, I suggest you do an av scan including a root-kit detection scan, then install PG. I think you should make sure that Protection is enabled with learning mode off and see which apps trigger the alarms. You can set PG to allow accessing of Physical Memory for those apps that you trust, eg. Iexplorer is set to allow Physical Memory (although I never use iexplorer btw).

I think Pili may have better suggestions.

3. another newb

another newb Guest

thanx for the reply. i am just having trouble figuring out what settings to use for certain programs. my computer is virus and spyware free! i use BOClean, for example, how should i have this program configured?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

The easiest way to install ProcessGuard is to use it's learning mode which is on by default when you first install PG.
    After the first reboot run your security apps that are not run automatically at start up. Enable the four General tabs and reboot, PG should still be in learning mode, this will enable PG to give your system services etc. the correct settings. Reboot and run all your normal Internet connecting programs and any that run services such as Nero, Giant.
    Reboot and ProcessGuard should now be out of Learning Mode with default settings applied to your protected programs. You will find that as you use your computer over the next few days that you will get some PG pop-ups & alerts which you can then give the necessary allows.

Read this forum for more detailed settings that members here have found to work and the DCS ProcessGuard Database found here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=62691

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.