Total dissatifaction

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Trapper852, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Jay111, Windows certainly does collect lots of detritous over time, your method of installation is sound. :)
    Process guard, particularly, is best installed on a new installation or one that is known to be squeaky clean, this includes Defragging the hard drive, running chkdsk & cleaning / defragging the registry.

2. Trapper852

Trapper852 Registered Member

Quote Gavin
    Thanks for your post & efforts, Gavin, re: registry keys & CLSIDs.

As bizzare as my story has been, it has just taken an even more bizzare twist. Just as I was about to do a registry search (per Gavin's post), I tried an uninstall one last time, and this time, inexplicably, IT WAS SUCCESSFUL. "wguard.dll" actually unregistered itself correctly!! After rebooting, I did a registry search & found no leftover keys or CLSIDs from Wormguard. I then ran a "WinXP system files repair" from the installation CD to reinstall/repair any damaged/overwritten files & am happy to say that all the symptoms from the wormguard installation have dissapeared & my system is back to it's error-free state. I'm not even going to pretend to understand why this happened in the first place, or why it finally corrected itself. Only glad to say I won't be spending 2 weeks reformatting/reinstalling.

Thanks to all for posting suggestions & for the helpful & friendly attitudes. As far as I'm concerned, this post can be considered filled & closed. Thanks again. :)

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well done Traaper852, I'm sure come of these darned devices have a mind of their own sometimes :cool:

Take care. Pilli

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

If I can make a recommendation - I use Directory Opus (a fully multi-threaded file manager/explorer replacement from www.gpsoft.com.au) which has a very powerful Find feature (can search on file sizes, regular expressions and manuy others attributes). It costs a bit more than some of the other recommended apps, but it can do a lot more and once you use it you will not want to go back to Explorer.

PS. No, I don't work for them! Just love the software

5. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Agreed, Defenestration - another great Australian-developed utility. Like the DiamondCS progs, ground-breaking and standard-setting.

6. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

Hi Trapper,
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. I am a wormguard user, and have not had any problems at all with it. (I`m on M.E.) In fact Wormguard has saved me on numerous occasions recently. I have been receiving lots of e mails headed "POSTMASTER" Re delivery failure, or "POSTMASTER virus alert" or some other header supposedly coming from an official web site. Wormguard would not let me open them, it warned me that the risk was Very high. so I deleted them. I am happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.