TOR under a VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Izzle, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Tor may have changed greatly since you bought that. Are updates still available?

Tor through Tor, VPN aside, would be very slow, I think. Running one VPN through another doesn't reduce throughput very much, but latency adds up.

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

mirimir don't get me wrong, if you can do what you want great, but why do you think you need to go to these extremes?

Tor is just to have anonymous internet connectivity and with Tor and one good VPN, that should be more then anyone should ever need. Trying to find someone through Tor and one VPN should be difficult, especially, if you also just sit on an open WiFi. :)

I'm into all the privacy and security full on, but I think running OpenVPN on a host, then running OpenVPN on a guest, then running Tor last, is giving someone already an extreme amount of protection, all with just one VM, that I can't even imagine why you'd need to go beyond that...

What are you using pfSense for, so that you firewalling all the VM through it?

3. mirimir

I enjoy challenges. I live in a seedy police state, as well.

The first VPN hides my use of Tor. The last hides me from Tor. Open WiFi is OK, but I'm lazy. I also worry about putting others at risk.

With a VPN through Tor, I'm no longer limited to TCP traffic. Perhaps I can run an OpenVPN server as a Tor hidden service. That would be cool.

I use pfSense as an OpenVPN client VM. It's analogous to Ra's Tor gateway. Having it all modular is convenient. Having VPN connections firewalled is good too.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have absolutely no idea. I may send Kyle an email and see what he says.

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sounds good, so give us a bit of a step by step how you're going about this for everyone to learn, of course you don't have to go the pfSense route explaining that unless you want, I personally would rather just go through a Linux VM that's firewalled...

THANKS

6. mirimir

OK, but not today.

It's much easier using pfSense. pfSense is designed (among other things) to establish and secure VPN tunnels, so it's very intuitive. Some say that FreeBSD pf firewall is more secure than Linux iptables, but I'm not qualified to have an opinion about that.

7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

BSD pf is good stuff, actually you should mention it...

I've used Free, Open & Net, I'm just more of a Linux geek...

THANKS

8. addi6584

addi6584 Registered Member

mirimir Id love to see your pfsense write up on VPN3->[Tor->(VPN2->VPN1)]

9. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

+2 How do I hang a wireless AP off a PfSense box? 2 NICs?

P

10. mirimir

With three NICs, you could have wired LAN and WAP. If you don't need wired LAN, two NICs would be enough. But if WAP fails, repair with no LAN might be hard. Using vLANs with a smart switch, one NIC would be enough. But repair might be seriously hard. There's a whole chapter on wireless in "pfSense: A Definitive Guide", and another chapter on captive portal setup.

11. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I'll check it, thanks. I'd love to build a tiny piece of hardware with 3 NICs....time to hit Newegg.

Thanks!

PD

12. mirimir

Read the hardware section on the pfSense forum first. People have installed pfSense on old high-end routers. But a minitower PC with a dual-NIC PCIe card is probably easier, and it will handle more traffic. Although Intel NICs cost more, they use less CPU. Old Intel PCIe NICs are cheap, but they're usually PCIe 1, and may not work on PCIe 2 motherboards.

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

mirimir I thought you were going to write up a HowTo here?

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.