Tor-Firefox-Proxomitron

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Liquidslam, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axnzzz

axnzzz Guest

Ok here is what I have set up right now.

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/4513/ff0tx.jpg
    I also set sock dns to true via (about:config for firefox) So I think FireFox and TOR is now compatible.

I also have PRIV running but don't know too much about it (will learn more about later when i have the time to read). I also downloaded [Privoxy Tor Settings.zip] somewhere via this forum and in it it contains [config.txt default.action and standard.action] which I replaced with the default files in PRIV folder.

Proximitron is not new to me. I've been using it alone without TOR and PRIV for a very long time. What is new to me is SOCKS and setting it to work with TOR and PRIV.

2. devilery

devilery Guest

clear out the lines for SSL and http. just leave the line for Socks. 127.0.0.1 9050

That way you can use firefox + Tor without anything else.

This is the easiest method to use Tor for both http and https

Your current setup lines actually requires the use of proxomitron minimal and either freecap/sockcaps or privoxy. I assume you use privoxy+proxo.

Using this alternativesetup, you just need to fill in 127.0.0.1 8080 for http. You don't even need anything at all in the fields for socks proxy or even SSL, but what you have now doesn't hurt.

Please ensure your proxomitron is setup according to instructions given in
    #45 of this thread.

The rest should be straight forward for an old timer of proxomitron like yourself.

Briefly you need to select a remote proxy for 127.0.0.1:8118 in proxomitron and select the box "use remote proxy". I'm assuming standard privoxy setup.

Then set up privoxy as per files you downloaded.

That should do it.

There will definitely be slow down in speeds when using Tor. It might be intolerantly slow for you. or it might not

For more complication you can setup proxomitron so it only goes to privoxy (and hence Tor) on some sites but not others.

Similarly some people are running Tor as a windows service for greater stability. More complication but not strictly necessary.

Good Luck.

3. axnzzzz

axnzzzz Guest

Alright, it looks like I'm using

A) Tor + Proxomitron + privoxy

I have TOR on but unchecked "Use Remote Proxy" ( 127.0.0.1:8118 ) in Proxomitron. So that means my IP is not concealed.

My question now is: Can TOR really protects me from my ISP when my true IP is shown to sites like whatismyip.com because I have "Use Remote Proxy" turned off? How useful it is to have your path encrypted by TOR and your true IP showned. Or am I missing something?

4. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Ha ha!!:D

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u uncheck "use remote proxy" then ur only using proxomitron. u need to check it to reap the benefits of using tor. reread devilish's post (#50)

6. axnzzzz

axnzzzz Guest

So for those that uses FireFox+TOR is useless then...?

7. WSFuser

if u use proxomitron + tor + privoxy, u will need to check "use remote proxy" for proxomitron. if ur only using tor and firefox, dont worry about. and lastly if ur lost, refer the link in my post.

8. devilish

devilish Guest

No No. Look at my post 50 again. You are creating a chain as follows

Firefox--->Proxomitron--->privoxy--->Tor

The use remote proxy option tells proxomitron to connect to privoxy!

If you don't use that option the chain is broken and you will not use Tor even if it is on! I don't know why you don't get this!

I seriously urge you follow the method of just Firefox + Tor, the other method is probably too complicated for you.

9. axnzzzzz

axnzzzzz Guest

Privoxy --> Tor

Proxomitron (127.0.0.1:811) direct to

Privoxy
    /
    forward-socks4a / 127.0.0.1:9050 .
    forward-socks4a :443 127.0.0.1:9050 .
    forward-socks4a :53 127.0.0.1:9050 .

/

Which directs to TOR (127.0.0.1:9050) is this it?[/QUOTE]

I'm currently using FireFox+Proxo+Privoxy+Tor and I think it's working since I have "Use Remote Proxy" checked. I even used Ethereal to watch the data going out on both scenarios. When checked use remote proxy data are not in plain text and the IP of the actual site are not shown. When unchecked I see GET HTTP and web junks and the IP of the actual site that I visited.

One last question. Since using TOR with "Use Remote Proxy" means you are using another computer to surf the web. Do People who use TOR sign onto forums? Is it a smart thing to do? Does the site writes cookie into the other people's computer since it's not your IP?

10. devilish

devilish Guest

Yes! And as i said proxo's use remote proxy connects to privoxy.

Finally. You know how to use ethereal??

LOL. No the cookie is on your computer. Remember the Tor server is only redirecting the HTTP stream, it doesn't actually use it's own browser to connect to the site.

But yeah, i believe the last Tor server (maybe even those in between) in the link can see everything you send in plain text. This will include passwords.

But your forum password is not a really big prize anyway.

Anything important you send will probably be in HTTPS anyway, and that will be protected even if send via Tor as per usual.

11. axnzzzzzzz

axnzzzzzzz Guest

I heard that there is a security hole in Proxomitron and Sygate firewall. This is my concern since I'm using sygate with Proxomitron, how do I go about fixing this local proxy hole?

12. WSFuser

idk if there is a fix or if the debug builds fix that issue but id recommend switching firewalls if it worries u so.

13. axnzzzzz

axnzzzzz Guest

Is it even safe to use TOR+Privoxy+Proxomitron all together? I've experienced lagness while playing game and I off TOR since I'm not browsing the web.

Using a direct connection for firefox and off TOR+Privoxy+Proxomitron my ports are protected but using TOR and others it opens the following ports:

ftp (port21)
    ssh (port22)
    domain (port53)
    www (port80)

http://www.digconsys.com/testdir/portscan.html

I used that site to scan and it managed to get throught... Now I'm wonder what caused it.

14. WSFuser

if ur using a proxy/anonymizer then isnt the other computer the one getting scanned?

15. axnzzzzzz

axnzzzzzz Guest

You are right. I'm forgetting the Obvious. LOL.

Anyway, about the Lag while playing game I believe it's TOR. I turned on Ethereal and let it sat there with Tor running. all programs were off just to see what is being sent and I notice TOR send and recieve a lot of bytes every now and then and from different IPs.

Is that normal?

16. WSFuser

i doubt it as TOR should be idle while u game. does ur game have proxy settings by any chance? otherwise i guess ull just have to shutdown tor while u game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.