To use alongside NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I am planning to use another free AV alongside NOD32 though not indefinite as yet but giving it a thought. NOD will still be my main and real time scanner where as the free one will have therealtime scanner disabled unless it hasn't got a real time scanner like that of Bitdefender free edition.

What would be your choice as a good free AV to use alongside NOD assuming you had NOD32 on your PC. Also I believe that I will be have to disable one of the realtime scanners on either one of the programs. Like I said NOD will be the main one running and also will be running in realtime, so the free one will be disabled.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Bitdefender;)

3. Albinoni

Ok and as I beleive the free version of BD hasnt got a realtime scanner. So this means if I want to do a virus scan I will need to do it manually now and again or say once a week.

Also does the free edition of BD remove viruses assume one is found.

Finally what made you say BD and not Avast, just a personal question. I thought that the first answer would of been Avast Free edition.

4. bigc73542

I don't personally like Avast. And when I used an antivirus that needed a backup av I used BD because it worked well and it did clean virus's it found. I would imagine it still cleans. And If it is a back up av why would it need to have an on access scanner. Bitdefenders detection is as good as Avast or better so it would make sense to me to use BD. But in the end the choice is yours. This is just my opinion derived from experience useing the av's in question.

5. Albinoni

Ok and you've never had any issues with them both clashing, causing system crashes etc.

I will give it a shot and appreciate your feedback :D

BTW I'm presuming you do use NOD32 as well

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Apart from the free AV's, why not consider one of the on-line AV scanners, such as Kaspersky, Trend or Panda. In this case there is then less chance of any conflicts with AMON, and the detection rate will probably be better than the free AV's.

Other free choices that would not cause any system incompatibilities include Dr Web's CureIT, where there is no installation of the program and if you are on a non-NT system, F-Prot for DOS.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Huh! What week, of what month, of what year, BigC is The AV tester, there is no other, he has tried everything out there at least twice a week every week for as long as I remember. If you want to know how any AV travels, ask our BigC :D :D :D

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Do not know abot KAV and Trend but , Panda does not remove in their online scan . Only detects . Better to load the software BD on the computer and use it . Very strong at removing infections . And NO conflict with NOD

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2005
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

10. hollywoodpc

Hi Hammer .
    It would seem so right ? WRONG !! It does NOT remove infections found . Their info claims it detects AND removes . Hmmmm . Could they be lying ? Try it out and see . I tested it for that purpose . It detected my smples . Did not even attempt to remove . just told me what they were . Go figure . It would make more sense if they then said to BUY their product to remove but , it does not . Scan ends and shows the infections . No options at all . And by the way , it took forever to scan my system . Maybe something on here slowed it but , MY GOODNESS ! Anyway , try it for yourself . I will tell you that this was MY experience . If you have a differing one , do tell HOW to make it remove . Thanks

Regards

11. bigc73542

12. The Hammer

If I ever get anything that needs to be removed , I'll let you know. I'm just going off the Activescan free checklist where they compare it to the pro.

13. hollywoodpc

Thanks Hammer .
    If you are like me , you may have a long wait . Or should I say I will have a long wait ? lol . I am interested in knowing what it does for you .

14. J at A

J at A Guest

"To use alongside NOD32"

Get yourself at least BOClean as resident AT !!!
    And if you can run it on your Windows-version, the free version of Ewido for on-demand scanning.
    And one of the KAV-versions that you can run only on-demand.

15. The Hammer

I just finished the scan and yes it does take a long time. I came up clean as usual. Next time you run the scan though click where it says FAQ in the top right of the scan window. It says there that if a virus is detected it is cleaned in the background without user intervention being necessary.

16. hollywoodpc

Hi again friend .
    I did do that . But , the 3 it detected showed they were not cleaned nor removed . Showed 3 FOUND 0 DISINFECTED or removed . Glad you made it back afterward . I think it takes about a day and a half to scan a drive . lol

17. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Panda does remove viruses, worms and trojans - Not spyware/adware/hacktools etc.
    I do believe KAV is the only online scanner that cannot remove infections. And McAfee too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  18. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That's what I'd suggest....only install 1x AV product on your machine (more than one can cause conflicts/issues)..and use an online can as your manual backup scan...Kapersky. You won't beat Kapersky in detection rates by any other AV product that you could install on your PC.

19. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

What's your basis for this? Nod32 has a 34 pass/ 3 fail for VB100 awards, Kaspersky has 29 pass / 13 fail.

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You can "fail" the ITW tests on Virus Bulletin because of false positives for example and "pass" even if you do not detect all the samples :eek: .

KAV's fails were probably not due to a failure in detection.

Further, have a look at this discussion about ITW testing.

If you look at a variety of testing sites, to include a wide range of malware, Kaspersky or its clones are always at the top for detection.

21. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

Testing sites such as...?

22. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

23. hollywoodpc

Ok . BlackCat kindly dismisses Spyware Doctor as being good BECAUSE of scan time . Detection must not matter . My question then is this , I ran the KAV online scan to test . BC recommends this scanner . Based on the files scanned and the time it took , why is this recommended but SD for spyware is not ? I am confused as to how things are evaluated in your estimation .

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

24. hollywoodpc

Unless I missed something here , KAV online does not disinfect either . Only detects . Am I wrong ?
    Again , thanks in advance
    I saw nothing indicating an " advanced report " that I could access . What the ......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  25. hollywoodpc

Anyone ? Not in a hurry . Just curious as to what I am missing . Sorry for the repost guys .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.