To all Avira users

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ssj100, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

Hi guys,

Can anyone who is using Avira AntiVir Personal (or even Premium) confirm that they are also getting these errors in their update logs:

[UPD] [INFO] Checking whether newer files are available.
    [UPD] [INFO] Select update server 'http://[2a01:138:a001:201::23]/update'.
    [UPD] [INFO] Downloading of 'http://[2a01:138:a001:201::23]/update/idx/master.idx' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\idx\master.idx'.
    [UPDLIB] [ERROR] Download manager: An error occurred inside the WinINet library.

I've only started noticing this since the last major upgrade (9.0.0.403), and according to the Avira support forums, this is due to a problem with some computers not fully supporting IPv6.

I am able to update 100% successfully and smoothly, but for some reason, the update logs generate the errors above. I get about 10 of those errors per update log, but everything updates smoothly and quickly (within 1-2 seconds if there is no update, and within 20 seconds if there is a small update).

Thanks for any replies!
  2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I only see one within the last 11 update attempts. I update manually 1 to 2 times per day. Avira Premium 9.0.0.441.
  3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Tried Expert Mode - General - Update - Webserver - "don't use proxy" ?
  4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

It has been a reason for these errors in the past. No luck this time as it seems.

Annoying at most. Most important: it obviously does not affect the updating as such ;)
  5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

No problems here :thumb:

I got better things to do then look @ logs though :argh: :thumb:
  6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also had no problems except I think it was 2-3 days ago for the first time after an update Avira requested a reboot (never happened before).
  7. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

No problem now. Only with the default update schedule,I never succeeded in update. I then deleted it and created my own schedule. Now it updates smoothly. Strange though.
  8. Necropsie

Necropsie Registered Member

9.0.0.403? According to mine, i am using.. 9.0.0.442. Getting the same error message and Avira can't update itself. Still couldn't find a solution.. Weird.
  9. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

I cannot get Avira to update at all today. Rats! They should take a lesson from MBAM's updater -- it is fast & reliable. On the other hand, Avira's updates (even for Premium) have tended to be slow & dicey for as long as I can remember.

It would be a shame if a superb antivirus bit the dust because of a crappy updater. :thumbd:
  10. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

Mine wont update either, last update say's from 10:30am EST.
  11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I just did a manual update @ 2:55pm :thumb:
  12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Mine is acting piculurely firstly it stops scaning at 21.7% and then the updater problem it never finishes it reads like it just started after over 15 minutes. :(

Attached Files:

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Its the old VDF update issue. Take 2 Tylenol and call in a update in the morning.:cautious:
  14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Unusually slow here too, it took 9 minutes to download 3 MBytes.
  15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I never said there wasnt a current issue with their updating process.

Its something I'm sure they are working on. There's no sense in everyone freaking out,they will resolve it,as thats what software writers do.

If you feel Avira is "letting you down" find another antivirus.
  16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I, like a few others, did. Invest in some servers and you might keep your current customers.:cautious:
  17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Congratz!

When everything is going wonderful,you never hear a peep. But,when there are issues,it' seems the sky is falling is the general reaction. No piece of software is perfect, period.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.