Tiny vs Sygate vs Outpost

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by no13, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hi Ajohn... I thought you died or something... ;)

You sound like me. I was using Tiny, then Outpost, then CHX-I, then Jetico, and now, believe it or not, Kerio 4.

2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I'm really confused with this Tiny...
    the UI is more like a straight jacket.
    Don't they have a "Ask questions to learn rules" mode... I mean, even Jetico has it [ZA, kerio, even armor2net has it.... but NOT TPF]
    I'm trying to make sense of Jetico... can't.
    Should i try Outpost then?
    I really "want/need" app control.... Now that I'm assured of a system reinstall in 2 weeks... should I try out LnS as well?

Edit: check #39 below.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

no13,

I use Outpost Pro. Run purely as an application focused firewall, it is very easy to use. I assume that most of the comments related to it's difficult use refer to the more comprehensive rules one can create (which I don't as of now).

According to anecdotal comment, LnS is one of the lightest firewalls around. If that's an issue for you, this is definitely one to try.

Try both.

Blue

4. no13

I was referring to the unnecessary complications in Tiny PF.
    Outpost I haven't used in years. Let's see.
    Outpost is definitely no1 on my tryout list. LnS is pretty dangerous to uninstall as far as my experience goes.
    I'll give the firewall which has better App control a shot first. My router is Sygate based I think, and that should serve my purpose for most things coupled with a decent packet filter [one of them "new fangled' full blown SPI things.]

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

no13: Tiny probably has the better app control by far, but you're absolutely right... it's far from easy to figure out and use. I only scratched the surface. I hear that it can keep you busy for months tweaking it.. I choose a compromise myself. Something that's a bit easier to use suits me just fine. :)

6. no13

Me too.
    until they can figure out how to add the "ask questions to learn" thingy....
    I guess outpost/LnS + Packet filters should be good enough in theory.

Edit: check #39 below

7. Diver

Diver Guest

I don't think 8Signs or Visnetic have a learn mode either. You have to know what ports those FW's will need from having build a ruleset for something else like Kerio 2.15.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

VisNetic (and I would assume 8Signs) does have a "learning mode", but all it does is prompt you to create a rule when it sees a packet coming inbound to a listening port. That's it. So it's usefulness is rather limited in my opinion. It does no prompting for outbound stuff..

9. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

For Tiny, may I suggest that you focus on applications and network security portions first and right because that is the easiest to understand if you have used Kerio 2 and Jetico before.

For Outpost, I leave it set at the default, because it isn't for my PC. What is interesting about Outpost is it's dll management/notification.

10. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

After using the combo of SPF Pro, NOD32, and BOClean for some time, I've decided to change my security software to Outpost Pro and KAV 5. You know the particulars of the firewalls you're considering. One of the reasons I am going with Outpost Pro beside the very good feature set is that it plays particularly well with KAV 5. Being behind a router and with these programs running, I feel relatively secure.

11. no13

JayTee.....
    Tiny's application control is a monstrosity....
    check it out yourself.
    To even create rules ONLY for the "firewall" module is fiendishly hard...
    Eg: firefox won't access 127.0.0.1:8080 if I turn its firewall module ON, but can use internet directly, BUT...There's no MATCHING rule for this condition :ninja:
    I used to run a Decently safe Kerio 4 config, before I saw how easily any dll injection easily bypassed its security, as did thermite [I mean, wasn't it supposed to STOP new applications from launching known apps like IE ??]
    I guess outpost/Lns is the way to go.... anyone seen any online guide to TPF configs... the manual available is for v5.5

Edit: UPDATED info: #39 below.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think that's all there is as far as a Tiny manual goes. There's the 5.5 manual plus the Tiny Forum. I think I saw someone mention that perhaps there'd be a new manual with the upcoming 6.5 release though. The manual isn't that helpful really. With Tiny I think you're pretty much on your own. The new interface in 6.5 is supposed to make it easier for people to use, but I think it will still be pretty intimidating to most people at first anyway.

13. no13

14. no13

Muahahaha...
    UPDATE:
    I like LnS. I also like Tiny.
    [a reinstall of both meant that LnS now works as advertised... and Tiny does have a "prompt to learn" mode... my apologies for misleading you earlier :(]
    Let's see what this Outpost is made of.

15. no13

UPDATE:
    Tiny v 6.5 [TPF 2005] being released as "Beta" buillds

Info
    Download

Rumored: Better UI. nearly complete SPI implementation.
    If u use download managers... copy the link(s) in the downloads page "AS IT IS".... no modifications.
    Server doesn't support resume. Newer build is smaller than older. Both ~ 4mb.

Have Fun.

16. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I'm currently using Mcafee, however previously I used Outpost and I was very happy with it. Can also get some usefull plugins to work along side it. Don't think much to the other 2 you mentioned first.

Jimbob

17. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.