Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kdcdq, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I noticed via Tiny Software's website that a new release of Tiny Personal Firewall, Version 4.0 was released yesterday (11/11/2002).

As per Tiny's website:

"Target use:
    Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0 is the world's first firewall truly combining the stateful packet inspection of the communication coming through your network interface and the sandbox technology managing the applications inside of the computer. Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0 is ideal for standalone computers or for trusted experienced users in corporate environment. It protects personal computers against network attacks, worms, trojans and viruses and manages the access of computer processes (programs) to computer resources (memory, files, devices).

Specification:
    . Signature based Intrusion Detection Engine
    . Bi-directional stateful packet inspection desktop firewall
    . Active Sandbox desktop technology for protection against worms, trojans, malicious code, activeX and javascript content
    . Activity-view-only or full administration access for user
    . Industry standard mass deployment using .msi packages

Main Benefits:
    . Unlike firewall-only solutions complete security protection
    . Active protection against to unknown threat
    . Activity Reporting
    . Seamless industry standard deployment
    . Simple configuration and management

System Requirements:
    Client: Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP PC

Target Markets:
    All standalone PCs with or without VPN connectivity. "

2. pin

pin Registered Member

i'm running tiny 2 right now.. i want to upgrade, but i don't want to lose all the rules i've set up. is there a way to back it up?? i went to site and did all that registration stuff.. but still the support looks like it's for 4 only. anyway i'm waiting for my confirmation email to register still. thought maybe i coudl get my answer here.

there are only a couple of files in the tiny directory that are strange:

persfw.conf
    stat.conf.

the second seems pretty obvious though. the first one is totally unknown to me.

3. octogen

octogen Registered Member

If Tiny is like Kerio then persfw.conf is where the ruleset is saved. Save this file in some directory other than where Tiny is before you upgrade. After doing the installation when upgrading, copy this file back into the Tiny directory and your old ruleset should be preserved.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

:mad:

Looks like those of us who bought Tiny Trojan Trap just a short time ago have been left "high and dry" as far as upgrade goes. Tiny has no upgrade path (I'm talking license here) for TTT 3.0 users. So, while I only bought TTT 3.0.5 less than 3 months ago, August 22 to be exact, I have been left with only a re-purchase of the full TPF 4.0 in order to move forward with the sandbox technology.

See this: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4995478~root=kerio~mode=flat

Since TTT 3.0.5 appears to me to be virtually bug free (at least as far as how I'm using it) and completely compatible with my configuration, I'll be sticking there for a while.

5. root

root Registered Member

Not a good way to win back Kerio users. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.