Tin Hat

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mirimir, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

http://opensource.dyc.edu/tinhat

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Interesting. Would it be possible to customize it a bit and then load the customized version? For example add bookmarks, extra software, etc...

3. mirimir

Yes, I'm sure that's possible. You're building Gentoo after all. This could be the basis for "extreme Tails", for example.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Is there some way to gain persistence if it's on a USB? Like... I don't want to have to reinstall and reset it up every time.

5. mirimir

From what I can tell, there's no persistence for OS and app changes.

You can mount (encrypted) partitions, of course.

6. Hungry Man

That means there's no reliable way to update it. Every single time you boot it up you would have to rerun all of your updates, which, on Gentoo, is going to take hours potentially.

Without a way for users to maintain persistence in *some* way the project actually shoots itself in the foot in terms of security. Even hardened gentoo needs patches - they say it themselves, if an attacker can chain together enough vulnerabilities no security software will stop them.

7. mattdocs12345

Yeah but on the other hand when you recieve a court order from MAFIA cough cough MPAA to preserve all evidence on your laptop you will have none to produce.

8. Hungry Man

Yes, which can already be accomplished through the TOR ramdisk project. Their stated goal is to add more security by using hardened gentoo, which they are unable to provide because they don't allow patches.

Such a shame too, I would totally run this just to test it out and see how it is. Seems like a great project if they could just allow some persistence. Maybe there's a way to commit tmpfs to disk.

I'm going to contact them and see.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  9. mirimir

As I read their explanation, they're distributing the building VMs, and imply that users rebuild from scratch when security patches are released. They also imply that their build environment is very much faster than stock Gentoo.

Cool :thumb:

For what it's worth, I have the same issue with Tor ramdisk. I'd love to use it as a gateway VM for hidden services, but that requires remembering keys and addresses. Manually importing via scp just wouldn't be workable.

10. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Know it since years, but i did never wish to talk about this distro for ethical reasons.
    This is an anti-forensic distribution, maybe the only one designed for this purpose.
    Interesting not only for the mafia, but also for child predators (one of the reason the FBI added the click fraud evidence).
    By this way, the main goal is not security, as some hardened distributions, but non persistence for absence of evidences.
    For an experts users who knows how to find evidences, there is no need to use TinHat, as there is ways to build an anti-forensic machine without the need of this distro, even against cold boot attacks.
    From a security point of view, this distro appears less interesting than some other already discussed on this Nix area.

Rgds

11. mattdocs12345

Unfortunetely the governments don't go only after pedophiles and child predators but also opposition leaders and innocent people.
    Cheers.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's not exactly good ethics to consider only the misuse of any tool.

13. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.