Time to replace Bitdefender TIS 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bobmitch, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

I have a three user license that expires in a few months. Yesterday, I did a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64 Bit SP-2 and then installed BD 2009 and it reaped havoc, for some reason. No biggie...I have been contemplating two possibilities:

AVG AntiVirus / Anti Spyware

OR

Kapersky Internet Security 2009

AVG's license is 2 yr and Kapersky is One. Both are free after rebate. My question is this....With the security built into Vista and the fact that I have a hardware firewall...is Kapersky a neccesity? Is AVG enough to protect me? I have the phish filter in IE8 turned on. I don't like Windows Firewall...and have never had an issue with the hardware firewall in my D-Link Router. Given the choices is AVG enough? Is Kapersky overkill? With Bitdefender, I used to disable it's firewall anyways...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

You're bound to get different answers (which might turn this into an "A vs. B" thread), so the best way is to trial both and see which one you like better.

However, when you mention Vista's built-in security, does this mean you still have UAC enabled? Also, if you don't want a software firewall, then why don't you consider Kaspersky Antivirus instead of Kaspersky Internet Security?

3. bobmitch

I don't use UAC...disabled the minute I get into Windows I think it comes down to a FREE two year subscription to AVG or paying $45 for Kapersky. I think they are both good...but given the conditions...I am leaning toward the paid AVG for free

Thanks for the input

Bob

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why did you you disable UAC?

5. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I was using Bitdefender Internet security 2009 for a while, but I found it problematic and uninstalled it. I still have a valid license, so I'll see what the 2010 version offers.

As to your question I would choose AVG, but not because I dislike Kaspersky. I think both of those are solid programs, but two years is good value.

6. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello bobmitch,

I recently replaced BitDefender ISS with AVG ISS (which was free after two Frys rebates in early June) on one of my machines, and I'm glad I did.

Kaspersky IS 2009 is an excellent suite, and I'm running it on my main "production" machine. You really should trial both AVG Antimalware and Kaspersky IS to see which one you like the most.....

7. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

If you don't use UAC or Windows Firewall, then what security features built into Vista are you using exactly? Do you use Windows Defender?

8. bobmitch

I was using all the modules with Bitdefender. Now I will use Windows firewall in addition to the hardware firewall in my router. HOWEVER, with that said...I went with AVG...what a mess. Got it installed OK...but for some reason I cannot activate the software...had to go through hoops on the website to fill out a form...and got a form email in return...so now I am supposed to have a two year license...BUT it did not activate...What to do nowo_O?

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You need to shop around. I've seen Kaspersky at prices better than what your quoting. But with your set up why not just go with an Av instead of a full suite?

10. bobmitch

Wanted to write an addendum. AVG Support has been FANTASTIC! Sent emails through the website and they were answering me within minutes. Got the activation issue taken care of...they gave me a new serial number...and viola' Done. Then I had an issue with my email program (yeah, after all these years I still use Eudora). Had to uninstall and reinstall the program with the plugin for Eudora...then things were really good. Program is not as intrusive. I am now pleased...

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.