Tighten Security On IE8 for O/Line Banking

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TerryWood, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I never thought I would do it but I have reverted to using IE8 for Online Banking.

The reason for this is that I have Win7 64 bit and a high resolution monitor, which makes the fonts/printing impossibly small. Although there are zoom features on most browsers, these do not affect the underlying fonts for printing. So of all the browsers IE8 is the only one with flexibility to allow me to print consistently at a reasonable font size.

I am using IE8 with Safeonline and KeyScrambler Pro, and I would like to tighten up the secuity even more on IE8. This is an area I am very weak on so I am looking for layman guidance on how to do it.

I have changed the security setting to medium high in IE8 Internet Options, but that is all.

So anyone with ideas on how to jack up the security within IE8 please?

Thanks

Terry

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There's not much you need to do considering you have SO&KS. Just make sure Protected Mode & SmartScreen are enabled.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

After you have configured IE8, remove permission to set a value, add a subkey or delete key by user for these two keys. See picture for explanation

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

It is game over for malware (I have done it also on the laptop of my wife (listen carefully I tell you only once, je m'appelle Yvette et je suis de la resistance")

Regards Kees

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Consider using the 64-bit version of Sandboxie to virtualise the browser session.

6. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Kees & Everyone

Thanks to all for very useful suggestions.

To Kees, I tried your registry settings which are quite noticeable in action ie some animations on bank websites no longer run (not a problem for me).

However, page loading in IE8 is NOTICABLY SLOWER to the point where I am wondering if what I have gained is worth it.

Have you encountered this? Any suggestions on reducing slowdown?

Yes I did do the registry changes correctly, and reversed them to confirm the slowdown

Thanks

Terry

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Try to undo the internet explorer and keep only internet settings protected. see what happens then.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Overkill IMO. You can drop KS. SOL is good enough and better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.