TI9: can't restore fr multiple DVD image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdb3, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdb3

wdb3 Registered Member

I've just done a clean install of TI9 (build 2337) on a WinXP MCE2005 PC.

I created an image of by C: partition (boot) to an external hard drive. I had the image boken into 2gB files - resulting in two files that were 2GB and a third that was about 700 mB.

Then I burned (using the latest patched ver of Roxio Easy Media Creator)those files to two DVD-Rs (the two 2gB files on the first DVD and the smaller on a second DVD.

I then tried doing a file restore from my image (to test the validity of my image). When asked to insert media, I inserted the second of my DVDs. TI apparently recognized the DVD and gave me a Warning dialog box (Warning00040011: Please insert the media makked "Volume 1" Press Retry ...). I inserted the first DVD (where the files are actually named "Raptor C Partition 51.tib" and "Raptor C Partition 52.tib" rather thatn "Volume 1") and clicked the Retry button. I get the "hourglass" busy cursor for a few minutes and then "Not Responding" in the title bar.

I then tried a similar file restore using an image created months ago with TI8 - and that file restore works. The same DVD drive and DVD-R media were used on this successful restore. The difference being that with that earlier image is that it was not split into several files but is a simgle file on a single DVD-R.

Then I copied the three files from the TI9 image back to a hard drive (external). I am able to do a file restore from this image on an external hard drive. So it sems like the image itself is not corrupted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wdb3,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify whether you restore an image from DVD within Windows or in rescue mode?

Please note that if you want to restore an image from DVD in rescue mode, this DVD should be finalized.

Although the current version of Acronis True Image does not write to DVD disсs directly, instead it utilizes third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing software. We may recommend you to use a UDF-packet DVD-writing software (e.g. Roxio Drag-To-Disc which is a part of Roxio Easy Media Creator) format DVD disсs by means of this software and then use formatted disсs with Acronis True Image.

If you format the DVD discs with UDF-packet DVD-writing software, you can insert the formatted DVD disc into the DVD burner and create an image directly.

Please take a look at this FAQ article.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

"Then I burned (using the latest patched ver of Roxio Easy Media Creator)those files to two DVD-Rs (the two 2gB files on the first DVD and the smaller on a second DVD."

There's your problem ... as Acronis said if you want to use DVD media you have to format them for packet writing. HOWEVER, what you did there is a GOOD way to have extra security for your backup files in case your external goes bad. But, as you found out, you have to put the images back on a hard drive if you want to Restore.

This is the way I like to do my backups - I hear too many problems where others use UDF on DVD media.

4. wdb3

wdb3 Registered Member

Re the Acronis Support request for clarrification:

- I created the image and attempted the restore using TI9 from within Windows (although i have created the rescue CD, I did not use it for this)

- When creating the image, I did not choose to have it written to DVD but rather to another partition on a hard drive (hoping to later copy the files to DVDs)

- I had already read the referenced FAQ and that was what I had attempted to implement (see clip below):

"There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs. Acronis True Image Home 9.0 can create an image of a hard disk/partition as a single file on the hard disk itself, and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing software to the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image archive splitting size to 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the maximum size of a file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes."

Remember that the same restore procedure will work on another image (created on hard disc, copied to DVD-R, then restored from the DVD). The only know difference being that: 1. the earlier image was created with TI8 and 2. the earlier image was a single file that fit on a single DVD-R

I am stil looking for a way to do a restore of files or partition that exists on DVD media (ax the Acronis FAQ says can be done).

5. Acronis Support

Hello wdb3,

I'm afraid that the current build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 does not allow you to restore individual files and folders using Recovery wizard in case your image archive is spanned over several CDs\DVDs. However, this issue is known and will certainly be fixed in the future builds of a particular product. I'll let you know when the fixed build will be available. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Acronis Support

Hello wdb3 and everyone interested,

I'm glad to inform you that this issue has been fixed starting from build 3567 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.