TI9.1 Fulll w/Incremental vs. Differential Schedule

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by snmavronis, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snmavronis

snmavronis Registered Member

Hi, I need a decent backup schedule for a 24x7 operation for a local Government organization. I have True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server and Workstation to cover the computers needing backup images. I need to redo just having the 1st full image backup and continuing with incrementals only, which are getting out of hand. Are a mix of full and differentials better?

Image Backup Schedule:

Weekdays/weekends (incrementals or differential image backups?)

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Saturday
    Sunday

Friday Backups (full image backup)
    Monthly (optional - keeping last 3 if possible - full image backup)

[EDIT] I think I'm okay assuming I understand how differentials act file wise vs incrementals. I redid my schedule as 2 separate image backup jobs: one friday weekly full image, and the other days of the week differential made after the last full backup. I may add a monthly later. I test ran both jobs fine. Based on the descriptions I'm assuming there will be a differental file created after the last full backup vs. incrementals which would create a new file every time it runs? Just curious on that one because I don't want to have to restore from all subsequent incremetal backup files if there are tons of them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello snmavronis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software Corporate.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

With the backup schedule you made differential backups will be created every day, so the day before next full backup you will have 1 full and 6 differential backups. You will only need full and one differential backup to restore to corresponding date. For more detailed information about differential and incremental backups please see chapter 3.2 “Full, incremental and differential backups” of the respective User's Guide.

However, please notice that your initial scenario is also possible using Acronis Backup Server component of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server and Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. You can schedule to have 3 full backups and up to 6 subsequent incremental backups to the last full one. For detailed explanation on Acronis Backup Server component please see chapter 3.5 “Acronis Backup Server” of the respective User's Guide.

Actually you do not need to restore every incremental backup separately. Just choose the one you want to restore to, and the system will be restored up to that point (note that you will still need to have all previous subsequent incremental backups as well as initial backup in the same folder).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.