TI is unable to detect hard drive to back up?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Integrad, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Integrad

Integrad Registered Member

I am trying to back up the entire drive on a brand new, out-of-the-box Dell GX745 computer; however, True Image is unable to detect a hard drive. Anyone have any ideas on this?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Integrad, welcome to the Forum :D

Are you using ATI from within Windows or from the Linux boot CD?

3. Integrad

Integrad Registered Member

I'm using it from Windows. I boot up and choose the full version and it won't detect it, but it will with the safe version; however, I can't save the image to the network share where other images reside.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you are booting up and selecting a version you are running from the Linux based rescue CD not Windows. To run from windows boot your machine normally and run TI from there.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Integrad, "thomasjk" is correct, you are running ATI within the Linux shell.

The most likely reason why ATI cannot "see" your disk is because there is not a Linux driver for the disk/chipset, which in the Dell GX745 is SATA. The GX745 is a fairly new machine so your chances of getting a Linux driver are probably not very good, Linux drivers typically get to the market about 6 to 12 months after the product.

You have 2 options.

Firstly, you could use ATI exclusively under Windows until a Linux driver is available. The problem with this is that if Windows becomes corrupted you won't be able to rescue your system from the ATI CD.

Secondly, you could create a BartPE boot disk, which is a reduced Windows environment and is fully supported by Acronis. If you search this Forum you will find numerous posts on how to do this. In particular look for posts by "Menorcaman", who is knowledgeable on the subject.

In addition it may be helpful if you raised a support call with Dell and asked them when they will have Linux drivers available for the GX745.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Integrad,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that there are several issues with Intel® 965 Express Chipset in the current build 4871 of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. Please find the detailed explanation and the instructions in this previous post of mine.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. GregWH

GregWH Registered Member

I have TI10 and Disk Director suite. I have found that if one or the other is in use and your machine crashes, it CAN lock the disk out from other Acronis products. Windows works OK but Acronis products wont. The only way out of this is to uninstall every single Acronis product and install them again.

This may have something to do with your problem.

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hello Greg

Thank for your post. It would be helpful to the Forum (and Acronis) if you could provide some more details. In particular the following information would be helpful: -

• Details of your system (PC make & model; specification; motherboard; hard disks)
    • Acronis software details (Product and build)
    • What you did to create the problem
    • Error messages
    • How you fixed the problem

TiA :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.