TI 9 Function Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TMitchell, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMitchell

TMitchell Registered Member

Using TI 9 Home (build 3667) on an XP macine.

Great program. Everything functions as advertised, but I have a question. When I go to do a full recovery operation (from a back up made in the Acronis Secure Zone on an external 100 Gb USB drive) using default settings, the process takes a couple of hours (mostly validating the archive), then needs a reboot to continue, which takes about three or four more hours to complete (looks lik it goes through the "validating archives" process again).

Is it really validadting the achives twice?

Is it validiating all of the archives (i.e., all past back ups), or only the last backup I made and have now selected for recovery?

Is this normal or necessary, or is there some settings I should change so it won't take so long to complete the recovery?

(FYI, I choose to make complete system, and not incremental, back ups as I get more comfort knowing that the last backup was a fresh, full hard drive back up. Call it "technophobe paranoia").

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

IIRC, there is a double verification bug but perhaps somebody is more certain than I can provide more detail.

Also, when you validate any image in the SZ it validates all the images in the SZ.

Unless you are using some feature of the SZ such as automatic deletions there really is no need for you to have your images in a SZ on an external drive. You can just create them to a folder on the drive and have full manual control of them such as copying/burning them elsewhere and having it only validating the image you wish to use.

Above is based on TI9.

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

And remember even if it passes validation, it does not mean that a Restore will be successful..... unfortunately.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have always found restoring from an external drive takes three or four times longer than creating the image.

Customer support may be able to supply better Linux drivers to speed up the process. Starting the restore from the recovery CD can be a little quicker as you will be booted out of Windows in any case.

A good alternative is to build a Bart PE based recovery CD. This enables Windows drivers to run the external drive much faster than the standard recovery CD.

Another way is to store your images on an internal slave drive ( in a secure zone if you wish). This is the quickest method of all.

For the last several versions and builds TI will validate all the archives in the secure zone each time a validation is run. If these are not in a SZ only the image selected together with all it's incrementals or differentials should be validated.

My (unusual) workaround is to only restore to a spare main drive. This means that nothing is put at risk by leaving out all the validation processes.

PS. As you are fully backed up the latest batch of Windows SP2 security updates are now ready [​IMG]

Xpilot

6. TMitchell

TMitchell Registered Member

Re: TI 9 Function Question - Double Validation

Thanks to everyone for thehelpful info.

Is the double-validation problem fixed in TI 10?

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Re: TI 9 Function Question - Double Validation

No

Xpilot

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I may have been a bit hasty in my reply above.

The problem of multiple verifications has not yet been fixed.

I am not sure about the double verification to which you refer. I have never experienced it.

Xpilot

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It's the one mentioned in the link posted by TheWeaz above. You specify validate before restoring and TI does it in Windows then the PC reboots to restore Windows partition using Linux and it validates again. Since you don't validate, you wouldn't see it. :)

I imagine the coding geniuses saw that a validate was required while within Windows and did it which is what you would want to do when restoring a non-Windows partition. The Validate request is still in the data passed to the Linux TI program so it does the validate again. Actually, the proper way for the Windows partiton would be to not validate in Windows but do it in the Linux version since this is the one that must get it correct to restore properly. This seems trivial to fix and I can't believe it should still be a problem in TI10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.