TI 8:overwrite image name

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by philDG, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philDG

philDG Registered Member

Hi,

Is it normal that my weekly full image is overwritten by the new one, while the daily incremental creates a new image every day with sequential numbering and so not overwriting the existing images after each week?

Regards,

Phil

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Yes and no.
    Once the Weekly FULL writes over itself, the INC should then begin to overwrite themselves as well.
    What, exactly, are the file names specified in both the FULL and INC tasks?

3. philDG

philDG Registered Member

I used the default given names : "full.tib" and "incr.tib".
    "Full" has been overwritten on april 10th, while "incr" has created "incr24", so 25 incremental images were created since I installed the application, about a month ago.

4. TheWeaz

There’s your problem – the INC image MUST have the SAME name as the FULL.
    If you run an INC with the name ABC and there is no FULL with the name ABC, the INC task will create a FULL image the first time it is run and then append to that image each consecutive run.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello philDG,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that TheWeaz is almost right. The incremental backup file name is based on full backup file name. Acronis True Image 9.0 Home creates the incremental backup file name by adding number to the end of the full backup file name. For example, if the full backup is "MyBackup.tib" then the first incremental backup file name will be "MyBackup2.tib", "MyBackup3.tib" for second incremental backup and so on.

Please remember that if you are going to create the incremental backup, you should select the full or incremental backup you have.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  6. TheWeaz

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear enough. I was speaking of the file name given while setting up the task, not the end result. Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you want to append to a FULL backup named “Mybackup”, you must, when setting up the INC task, call the file “Mybackup”.
    Yes, the files created will have slightly different names, but I don’t think that addresses the OP's problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.