TI 8.0 Build 774 problems with Disk Clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zmc5, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zmc5

zmc5 Registered Member

I have a 18Gig Seagate SCSI with Windows XP (no SP from what I recall). Tight on space, so I bought a new 73Gig Hitachi SCSI. Looked around for good disk cloning software and found all the good words about True Image. Bought it last night and having lots of issues. This is not so smooth.

My goal is to copy everything from the 18Gig over to the 73Gig and remove the 18Gig entirely, making the 73Gig the primary and bootable drive. Disk Clone in auto mode seemed to be the thing to use/do.

Started with Build 763 running from Windows. Did the clone, but during the clone I was getting "can't read sector xxxx" errors. I clicked Ignore all. I have 3 CD-roms (all were empty) but no compact flash drives. I mention this because I now read there's issues with removable media drives being present. TI rebooted my PC couple times during the cloning, but it seemed to work. In the end I could see the 73Gig Hitachi had all my stuff. So I powered down and swapped drives, but the Hitatchi won't boot: NTLDR is missing error. I suspect the MBR isn't right.

I read that it's bad to have the new drive in the system while booted as windows re-assigns the drive letter. So I did the clone again this time paying attention to reboots, but TI doesn't give you the chance to remove the drives. I don't really know when the cloning is complete with all the reboots it did. 2'nd time same issues as first time.

Today I downloaded Build 774 and made boot CD and did the clone off the CD. Again, can't read sector errors. I choose ignore all. Now that the clone is a the end (still on operation 1 of 2), I get "Error Number: 1 internal error: number of copied sectors differs from counted". It's going to power off now and wants me to check my HD and do it again. So now I see it's not getting ot part 2 of 2 which is the MBR.

Last night, getting a little worried about the "can't read sector" errors, I downloaded disk tools from both Seagate and Hitachi and both don't report any errors. I've had the Seagate for like 3 years with no issues. Very stable system.

Now I'm at a loss on what to try next. I don't think I can get an image created as 18Gig is pretty big to put anywhere. Probably won't even fit on a DVD, (don't have DVD burner but will buy one tonight).

Where can I get TI version 7? People seem to be having better success with TI 7.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Zoran.

2. me75006

me75006 Registered Member

do a google search on ntldr.
    There are web pages that tell you how to put it on a floppy & use it at a later time. This does not address what went wrong, however it may allow you move forward with your project.

ntldr is a hidden file on the hd.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello zmc5,

Please contact support@acronis.com on this matter.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

4. zmc5

zmc5 Registered Member

Andrew, I have contacted support@acronis.com this morning. No reply yet. Just now I sent in the report.txt file as requested by the robot reply.

I'll see if I can get ntldr on it some other way.

Zoran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.