TI 10 NO hard drives found

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ldjessup, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldjessup

ldjessup Registered Member

Loaded the new MS Office 2007 on my computer which very promptly destroyed my hard drive. Ended up having to reload Win XP Media version and had to reinstall TI 10 in an attempt to make it work. End result is that TI 10 cannot find any hard drives. Went to the web site and downloaded the report program, but it can't create a report since it thinks I have no hard drives! I did use a cd with the restore program and made a backup on one of my four sata hard drives to at least have a point of return. (Hopefully) By using the cd all of my hard drives were recognized. I hae tried reinstalling V9 of TI and reinstalled V10 twice, but still no hard drives. Every other program, except Acronis Disk Director, found all the hard drives. Any thoughts out thereo_O??

BTW I have copies of the new Vista business and Office 2007 and Outlook, but they will all wait for SP1.

Don

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are you saying that the TI 9 or 10 Recovery CD recognized all of your hard drives and allowed you to make backup images, but that TI 9 and 10 installed under Windows XP cannot see any of the drives?

At any time previously, could TI 9 or 10 installed under Windows see your four hard drives?

3. ldjessup

Neither version can see the hard drives when installed. It was working perfectly until I had to reinstall windoze. I used the version 10 cd to make a backup. Worked fine.

4. jmk94903

Just confirm that I understand the situation. I apologize if this seems repetitious.

1. Before the messed up Office 2007 installation, you had TI 10 installed and it could see the hard drives under Windows and create backups.

2. After the bad Office 2007 installation, TI 10 no longer could see your hard drives.

3. You reinstalled Windows over the existing installation (you didn't delete the partition or format it before doing the re-installation of Windows or install Windows in a different location).

Did you uninstall Office 2007 after step 2 or 3?

4. Uninstalling and re-installing TI 10 now doesn't correct the problem of not seeing the hard drives.

5. The TI 10 Recovery CD can see the hard drives.

Now, some new information:

Do you have an image that was made before you tried to install Office 2007? (Even if this was made quite a while ago it coud get you up and running.)

If the answer is no, do you have OEM disks that will restore the system to its original condition? Sometimes these files are on the hard drive instead of on removable media.

Is there important data that you do not want to lose on the system that is not in the image made before the Office 2007 mess?

If the answer to the importatn data question is yes, have you made an image or file backup of the messed up system from the Recovery CD so that you can restore just the data when you have a functional system?

Where I'm going is to get the system up and running with as new a backup as possible pre-Office 2007. Then update the system and re-install any new programs not already installed. Then either mount the image of the messed up system and copy out the data that you need or restore from a file backp the files you need.

When you have the system up-to-date, make a new image.

Then you can try reinstalling Office 2007 knowing that you can recover easily from the Recovry CD and the new image.

5. ldjessup

Booted from TI 10 CD and restored successfully from Secure Zone. Didn't want to lose 5 days of info, but I'll get over it. At least everything is working now. Thanks for convincing me to bite the bullet and restore. I normally back up on every startup, but it doesn't work if the program can't find the hard drives. Still wonder what happened...
    Don:)

6. jmk94903

I'm sorry you lost five days work, but that's why I said:
    "If the answer to the important data question is yes, have you made an image or file backup of the messed up system from the Recovery CD so that you can restore just the data when you have a functional system?"

Even though that image is of a messed up system, after you restore and are up and running, you could mount the messed up image and copy all the data out of it. Even when a system is so far gone that it won't boot, you can still make an image with the Recovery CD and later extract the data.

Images are useful for recoverying data even if you never intend to restore that image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.