Threatfire - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by truthseeker, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I wonder when PCTools and the Yellow Conglomerate will release the next version of TF?

I agree with the Firefox Add-ons not working/installing properly. Sort of a pain and possible security risk to temporary pause TF to update the Firefox extensions.

The main reason I quit using TF because it took several more seconds to load up IE. I had to wait a few seconds to type in a website using the address bar as well. Possible conflicts between TF and my firewall.

Hopefully, they will have a TF lite version or at least have an option to uninstall some of the so called bloat features of the current version in upcoming builds.

2. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

DriveSentry will be launching a drag and drop encryption tool soon. The beta version is available on the DriveSentry forum. One thing to note is that the beta DriveSentry GoAnywhere 2 is not designed (yet) to work along side DriveSentry desktop. However you may want to give the beat software a try, don't encrypt any files that you only have one copy of as it is beta.

3. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

After PC Tools acquired CyberHawk I asked for opinions here about whether TF or CH (if either) had any advantage over the other. The replies I got seemed to indicate (at least to me) that at the time those few who responded thought that:

A) They are basically the same program protection wise, with TF having a few other improvements (GUI, custom rules, etc)

and

B) That I was a moron for asking the question in the first place...(very possible ;):p:D)

Since it seems that there is now at least one proponent that CH does have better protection than TF, it would be interesting if an able Wilders member could run some actual tests with them both against some threats to see how they stack up and post their results. Any takers...EASTER? :doubt:

(I would think (hope) that TF uses the same proven behavioral detections as CH and that since it has a whitelist/blacklist to compare that behavior to, it can give the user a clearer picture of what exactly caused the alert, or to allow it to not even show an alert if the program is on the whitelist. Maybe PC Tools played with the behavioral detection process and caused it to not work as well though?)

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Firebytes

From my testing TF is a better application than CB. I forgot to mention that TF is able to remove and CB was not, so all and all TF is a much better program, it only uses some more CPU than some CB versions.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Therein lies the basis i referred too. CH to TF after acquired by PCTools was then fashioned more to act as an AV or a PrevX AS type app. That statement of proof i think qualifies TF in that regard, as it is able to "remove" just as an AV or AS would.

CyberHawk on the other hand might not been designed to remove, but you can't overlook or disregard the fact that it does fully & completely identifies then if commanded by the user, TERMINATES offending executables aggressively.

Removal then is up to the user just like a HIPS, so then you could say that old CH is more a plain Behavioral Blocker, but BB nonetheless and a darn good one at that.

EASTER

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

PC Tools TF? I'll stick with Wincleaner AS and WinSonar!

7. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Thanks Katie :) :thumb:

P.S If I looked as good as you, I would be one happy man :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.