threatfire now bundled with google toolbar?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wutsup, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey yall,

i remember when installing threatfire a few months ago that it never had google toolbar. but i had to reinstall windows and installed threatfire again, but now it gives you the option to install google toolbar if you want even if the threatfire install.exe is the same one.

is this normal?

2. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

yeap, same thing happened to me last week when i had to reinstall TF on one of my boxes... no big deal...

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

TF is useless now I must say. Symantec killed it and very soon you will see it dying officially. It,s already outdated and can,t defend againt new threats I guess.

4. atomomega

I will recommend you to download it, install it and give it a spin. Or else, stop guessing...

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Look at their forums and you can guess very well. Look at MRG tests with single smaples and you can guess.

And it,s just my gut feeling but wait for some time and it will be discontinued officially. Very sad but it seems inevitable.

6. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

agreed:thumb:

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

man this threatfire was good when it was Cyberhawk;) :thumb: but now is not:thumbd: :D

8. atomomega

Ok guys, I'm not a fanboy so i'm not even gonna engage on a discussion here... also let's try to stay on topic... as a mod would say:argh:
    Cheers!

9. sbcc

sbcc Guest

I don't post often but I lurk here frequently. I'm not a Symantec fanboi by any stretch of the imagination, but I will be mourning the day TF disappears. I have two clients who each are the epitome of an "unsafe surfer" - always finding the worst malware. Neither one of them will make any attempt to learn how to keep things safe, and neither will pay for products. I installed Avast and TF real-time, MBAM and SAS on demand. Both were set up that way last winter. Never heard back from the first one, but for the second one it is the longest she's ever gone without severe problems. I checked her computer two weeks ago. She never opened MBAM or SAS. She says she understands what to do when TF prompts her. Granted, Avast is catching the lion's share of nasties, but TF has rescued her more than once. I hope ThreatFire remains available, I really do!

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Lol, ppl are constantly making clueless assumptions. ThreatFire, even in an outdated form is still very effective.

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

+1
    Behavior blockers don't really need to be updated. They rely on an abnormal behavior being produced by malware. The only thing that needs to be updated is for system compatibility.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

THREATFIRE "could" STILL BE AN OUTSTANDING Behavioral Blocker but it's missing critical elements that could be done in a short span of time if they would get up off their rump and just do it!

13. Repne movsb

Repne movsb Registered Member

Last time I tried it, it was damn good. As today, I really don't know. I uninstalled it since Symantec bought the company

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So, you uninstalled it because Symantec bought PCTools even though you were happy with it. That's a weird decision based just on the fact that Symantec bought them...

15. progress

progress Guest

I agree, threatfire can't protect you these days ...

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, when i tried it 2 weeks ag with many MDL samples, it cought all but 1 fake AV. So what's the verdict? There isn't any really. It still performs well imo.

17. atomomega

Ditto.
    I've also had put TF against some nasties dl'd from MDL and it always kicks in on time. So still does its job quite well. Again, despite of it's age I encourage you all to give it a spin... it's still a freebie and dev is back on track. I really don't see Symantec getting rid of it as it would leave Emsi's Mamutu the whole market, I rather see it becoming a paid product....:(

18. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Good times for us all are gone..... RIP......:isay:

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

anyone tried cyberhawk lately? I wonder how it would do against some mdl malware- could be interesting...ch should still be available for download somewhere...

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

here
    -http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Anti-Virus_Utilities/Cyberhawk_Download.html-

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
  21. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

sorry for bumping an old thread, but i had to reinstall threatfire again, but now google toolbar isnt bundled with it anymore. how odd.

but in the registry it still created a regsistry entry called google/google toolbar even though its not even on my computer

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Beware, in at least one older Cyberhawks downloads a trojan is included

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
  23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for letting me know:)

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

TF offers the ability for the user to develop rules. Thus, it can be adapted to deal with many current threats by a savvy user.

25. simisg

simisg Registered Member

put threatfire on level 4 of protection and you have very strong hips......
    threatfire is alive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.