Threatfire flagging Avast's email scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Firebytes, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Has anyone else who uses Threatfire and Avast had TF start flagging Avast's email scanner as having performed a malicious action? When I try to send an email TF pops up that the Avast email scanner has performed a potentially malicious action. I am assuming it is due to changes that Avast has made in recent updates but I don't know that for sure.

Attached Files:

2. Firebytes

Update; my father just did an Avast iAVS (signature) update and now TF flags his email scanner too. This avast update also asked him for a reboot, which neither I nor he had ever had happen before. A reboot request usually only happens after doing a program update.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's probably due to some change made by Avast. Avast made me reboot too so they must have changed the program slightly. When I first saw the post and looked at the screenshot it reminded me why I removed TF, everything was a friggin malicious action. But further reading makes me believe Avast changed something and TF got its feathers ruffled about it. If your system is clean of viruses and such I wouldn't put any further thought into it.

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I would imagine this detection will be put right quite quickly.
    There's also a post concerning this at the PCTools forum. The next update (or 2) should do it.
    Hasn't happened to me, (yet.)
    BTW, there's nothing untoward about a behaviour blocker flagging a malicious action. In this case, it's not malicious, of course.
    What protection level is selected in TF?

5. Firebytes

I know there was nothing wrong with TF flagging a potentially malicious action. That's why I have it. What I wanted to know was what changed to cause it to start flagging Avast's scanner as it had never done it before.

I have TF set to the default level of three, as always, and I run XP home. I applied the latest updates to both TF and Avast today but still got the alert from TF when I attempted to send an email. For now I have just set TF to allow the process and remember the answer so I won't get anymore alerts until this issue is resolved.

I have had very good luck with TF myself regarding false positives. There have only been two alerts that I can remember that could be considered erroneous. This alert on Avast, and an alert for a program that was performing an action that really could be considered malicious many times (copying itself) but that is just a part of how that particular program works and I was expecting it to copy itself.

6. Firebytes

OK, after applying the latest signature updates for Avast and TF after I arrived home today, I was still having TF flag the Avast scanner. I had not rebooted after the updates at the time as neither program asked for one.

Anyway, I decided to remove the always allow setting in TF that I had set up for the Avast scanner and tried rebooting. Now TF is no longer flagging Avast's scanner. Very strange stuff, I don't get it, but hey the two programs are back to working along side each other as usual now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.