Threatfire & Avast problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Seems that after updating avast that TF will not load. It just shows "Threatfire - initiating" when hovering over it's tray icon and can't be clicked on, etc. Also sometimes avast is indicating that TFMisc.dll is a trojan "Win32:Rbot-FTK [Trj]". (This is reported to be a false positive by TF forum moderator.)

These problems have been reported in both TF and avast forums by several users. If you are having this problem (and believe avast is having a false positive) I have found a way to get TF to load normally although a bit slower than normal. First restore the file if you quarantined it, then go into avast's settings and go to "troubleshooting", select "Delay loading of avast! services after other system services" and reboot. TF should load OK.

2. Firebytes

avast! is now acknowledging that this is a false positive as well. They recommend excluding it from the scan until they fix it in the definitions instead of delaying avast! loading. I still couldn't get TF to load right though even when avast! wasn't detecting the file without delaying the loading of avast! after other services.

3. Firebytes

OK, I just excluded the Standard Shield from scanning the TF program folder and TF works as usual. I allowed avast to load normally and TF worked with the file excluded. Since avast wasn't reporting the file infected anymore after I had answered the initial prompt and rebooted I thought that the scanner wasn't the problem but I was wrong. Avast is supposed to correct the problem in the next signature update.

4. Firebytes

Latest avast! signature update (080422-1) released today seems to have fixed the problem. Fast work by the avast! team.

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up and work around until the fix was released. The Wifes` laptop has that combo. After reading your post I checked and sure enough Threatfire was hung on initiating.

6. Firebytes

Glad someone got some use out of it.

I asked the moderator at the TF forum if I hadn't hovered over the TF icon and noticed that it was showing continually "Threatfire - initiating", instead of just "Threatfire" as normal, if TF would have ever given me any indication that it hadn't loaded properly. He advised that right now TF has no timeout for initializing, so I would never have received a warning that it wasn't loaded properly. :( He did state that it is now on the wishlist though for a future update. :)

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.