Thread split - Issues - What issues?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by er34, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. er34

er34 Guest

Re: ESS 6.0 and Windows updates

It might be the firewall or the HIPS modules.
    Perhaps ESET will advise you to turn off modules one by one (for example, first HIPS, then firewall, then real-time file system protection, etc.) and check.

<< My experience shows that ESS firewall is buggy and I have seen lots of problems with it and Windows Vista/7. I'd uninstall ESS, install (downgrade to) NOD32 only and see if it helps. If it helps, then use NOD32 only and Windows Firewall >>

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please elaborate more on this. If you're having an issue, I'd suggest creating a separate thread in which we could try to sort it out. The firewall isn't buggy and we're not aware of any severe bugs at the moment. I'd rather assume that the issues are rather caused by firewall misconfiguration, especially if the computer is not used in a typical environment.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'd have to agree with this. Though I have had problems with the firewall in versions 4 and 5, 6 has given me no trouble so far. I have in the past also had trouble with Windows Updates. If you disable the file system protection until after the updates are done it should work.

4. er34

er34 Guest

Dear Marcos,

I am not having issues, my clients (used to) had issues when they used ESS. I am just trying to help the OP. I have life to live and no time to spend on buggy or non-buggy products. I have created numerous support threads here or with the support and the problems never went away until ESS got replaced with just NOD32. Even the support told me that I had too big expecatations to ESET and ESS firewall and they (personally non-officially) recommend me use just NOD32. ESET is best at NOD32 - all other featurures are ...

Any severe bugs is different with any bugs. Ever since version 3 each version had its own small bugs - some had problems installing Windows Updates, other had issues with rules, reporting traffic from routers as non-existing attacks, some and not many had problems with slow downs, etc. I've seen them all.

Good luck :thumb:

5. Marcos

Since I was unable to quickly find other threads in the ESET forum but one concerning Windows updates in which you replied, please post some links to issues that you think were not resolved to date. If there are some issues that I'm not familiar with yet, I'll do my best to ensure that they are addressed as soon as possible.

I wonder if you could tell us more about your expectations that ESS was unable to fulfill. Again, I will ensure that they will be considered if they are actually valid.

Speaking about bugs in general, every software has some bugs. No matter if it's developed by thousands of engineers in Microsoft or by dozens or hundreds of engineers in smaller companies. ESET has always done its best to deliver a fix as soon as possible, usually automatically by means of module updates.
    As for Windows update issues that affected more clients, I remember only cases when the issue was caused by Microsoft implementing a protection mechanism against potential MIM attacks. If you're having a different issue which has not been resolved, let me know.
    Regarding reporting traffic from routers as non-existing attacks, I recall only cases when routers, printers or other devices actually scanned remote ports which was correctly detected as an attempt to perform a port scan attack. Again, if there's an unresolved issue, provide more details about it so that we can look into it.

6. er34

er34 Guest

You confirm there are/were some issues (despite them being fixed). There are many things I can post and we can argue about it til tomorrow but I do not want to hijack the thread. I respect the OP and let the Bobparmtry fix his issue. Please, delete my posts in this thread and help the OP as you and others can. :thumb:

7. Marcos

This was actually not a bug on ESET's side ;) We simply have to react to the changes Microsoft made in Windows Update. It's similar like with major upgrades of Windows; the fact that probably all security software didn't initially work with it wasn't because they all were completely buggy but because the vendors needed to accustom to the changes made by Microsoft. That said, there's really a difference between bugs and missing support for new oper. system features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.