This year's most-hacked software

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Ocky, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

2. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Can someone please comment on whether Foxit Reader is less vulnerable than Adobe? Thanks.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Good question. I've been using Foxit for a few years, but I don't know if it's less vulnerable or not. My main reason for using it is it's a lot less bloated than Adobe's and still serves my purposes adequately. No doubt it's far less of a target than Adobe, basically a case of "security through obscurity"

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use Cool PDF Reader now instead of Foxit. Foxit is too bloated now for my taste. And although others say different I couldn't deselect the adware/toolbar/bundled software Foxit now includes.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've never tried Foxit myself, though I've heard warnings here and elsewhere that it's got security problems of its own (probably not as bad as Adobe, though).

Most PDF's I run into I'll typically want to save for future reference, at least for a while -- for those, I use the PDF Xchange viewer.

6. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Firefox at number three eh? I figured it would be in the top ten, but didn't think it would rate this high on the list.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'm starting to hate websites that count vulnerabilities as potatoes and seriously consider blacklisting them forever. Not only is this method high-school quality of research, it's wrong on every level.

So what if Adobe had 300 vulnerabilities, how many were exploited, and to what level? How long was the window of opportunity open? How long between patches? Was there full disclosure? Were these problems discovered before or after the patch was provided? Local exploits? Remote?

Simply counting advisories is stupid. I can't begin to imagine the woodshop certificate that some of the people writing about security have.

Then the term, simply by visiting websites, you get infected ... WRONG. Erroneous, misleading, fear-mongering.

Most-hacked ... and using the term "hacking" as the buzz word.

But the most important thing is to write an article with a catchy title that people will read, get afraid and frustrated and then come back for more. Journalism as a way of e-prostitution.

Mrk

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Well, I might as well turn off my computer. :D The only app I've been able to replace is Adobe reader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.