This suggests that x64 IE 10 does only run x32!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

ScreenShot001 (Small).jpg

ScreenShot002 (Small).jpg Note "Operating System!" Top one is a test with Cyberfox, bottom IE 10. I'd noticed a debate about that on the MS IE 10 forum.

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

What? No it doesn't.

3. ratchet

So why does speed-battle only detect my x64 system as x32 while testing IE 10?

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

5. ratchet

6. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

So to clarify to the OP: You're currently running the 32bit version of IE on 64bit version of Windows. If you want to run IE10 in 64bit mode you need to enable "Enhanced Protected Mode".

If you read the blog that explains the user agents, it basically tells you that the screenshot you've posted is IE 32bit running on a 64bit version of Windows 7.

Hopefully that clears things up.

8. ratchet

ScreenShot001 (Small).jpg
    Yep, same result as in Navigator Platform!

9. ratchet

I knew that and have had it enabled.

10. shuverisan

Interesting.

I'm looking at Process Explorer right now. It says that only the IE 10 broker process is running as x64. The tabs themselves are run as x86. Whether I start IE from Program Files or Program Files x86, it has this same effect.

My print screen button isn't working or I'd give you a pic but you can download Process Explorer and see for yourself.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

If you right click and go to Properties for the main iexplore.exe process (broker) and then the sub-processes (tabs), you'll see what I'm talking about.

That doesn't explain the difference in user agent strings though.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  11. mechBgon

mechBgon Registered Member

If you haven't already done so, try enabling Enhanced Protected Mode and see what you get now. On 64-bit Win8, this will cause the Desktop flavor of IE to use 64-bit tab processes (gaining high-entropy ASLR and per-tab AppContainer sandboxing). The full brain-essploding explanation: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals...rk-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

I don't have a 64-bit Win7 system on hand or I'd test that scenario as well. You should see all 64-bit tab processes now (but not AppContainer, which is Win8 only). Who can check for us?

Oh, and to enable EPM, it's in the Internet Options panel's Advanced tab. Check the box and restart the computer.

Attached Files:

• EPM.GIF
      EPM.GIF
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
  12. shuverisan

Ok, thanks for that.
    Protected Mode was enabled, Enhanced Protected Mode was not. Now there's all 64 bit processes and the UA string doesn't have any wow tokens. The navigator.platform also says Win64 so that's the ticket, I am now Enhanced.

13. mechBgon

Glad that was useful. When using EPM, you're likely to see prompts like the attached pic, when a website wants to use a plug-in that isn't EPM-compatible. If you choose Disable, the site will fall back on "regular" Protected Mode (and will be a 32-bit tab) and the plug-in is allowed to run. If you choose Always Ignore then the site won't be able to use the plug-in and you won't be asked again.

In my case, I get this when I'm remotely viewing our network cameras that we have at work. It does become tiresome. I'd like to set up the Trusted Sites Zone to use "regular" Protected Mode and just add the netcams to that zone, but as far as I can tell, toggling EPM affects all the zones at once (Internet, Intranet, Trusted, Restricted).

Attached Files:

14. ratchet

So I need to "qualify" this post! IE 10 is blazing fast on this PC. I never use IE anyway. I'm mostly interested out of curiosity as to what is going on. There, that is out of the way!
    Enhanced was not staying enabled because Sandboxie was discarding the changes. It is now enabled but all evidence, including Process Explorer, still points to 10 only running x32. I also invoked it directly from Program Files (not (x86)).
    A couple of interesting things in this screeshot:
    navigator.appCodeName Mozilla
    navigator.appMinorVersion 0
    Internet Explorer real version Property not supported or blank!
    Could I need to change a reg setting, as in "Version 0"?
    ScreenShot001.jpg

15. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

The 'Enable enhanced protected mode' option only takes effect once you restart your computer so 1) remove IE from the sandbox, 2) execute IE and if the said option isn't enabled, enable it, click 'Apply' & 'OK', 3) restart the computer and go to http://browserspy.dk/browser.php. You should now see "Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64;...".

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  16. ratchet

Honestly, I've done all of that. Indeed, I disabled IE in Sandboxie's >Applications>Browser>Remove.
    I just copied the results this time. A few changes but not much!
    navigator.appName Microsoft Internet Explorer
    navigator.appCodeName Mozilla
    navigator.appVersion 5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/6.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0E; .NET4.0C)
    navigator.appMinorVersion 0
    navigator.vendor Property is not supported! navigator.vendor is not a string. It's a undefined
    navigator.userAgent Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/6.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0E; .NET4.0C) . More info...
    navigator.oscpu Property is not supported! navigator.oscpu is not a string. It's a undefined . More info...
    navigator.platform Win32
    navigator.securityPolicy Property is not supported! navigator.securityPolicy is not a string. It's a undefined . More info...
    navigator.onLine true . More info...
    Info browser.name msie
    Info browser.version 10.0
    Info layout.name trident
    Info layout.version 10.0
    Info os.name win
    Internet Explorer real version Property not supported or blank!
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 - More info...

17. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I reset to the 'Enable enhanced protected mode' and my RoboForm was automatically disabled. My decision was to keep RoboForm and not "Enable enhanced protected mode". Guess it depends on which action you consider more important:doubt:

18. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Then leave it removed, uninstall IE10 ('Uninstall or change a program'/'view installed updates', select 'Internet Explorer 10' and click 'Uninstall'), reboot, go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-10/worldwide-languages, download the Windows 7 SP1 64-bit version, install it, enable the enhanced protected mode, reboot, go to the browserspy page and tell us what you see.

Edit: it can also be downloaded here.

19. ratchet

For everyone who tried to help me, I fixed it! I had User Account Control disabled. I thought perhaps Enhanced Security might need that so I ratcheted (no pun intended) it up to the lowest recommended setting. I re-booted and the USB mouse and keyboard were dead and notification icons Sandboxie, Malwarebytes, AI Suite II (ASUS motherboard tools) and POP Peeper were all missing. I forced shutdown, but before I pulled the tower out and hunted down a ps2 mouse, I booted again and here I am. I'm actually using Cf but I did test IE and it came up x64. I'm going back to UAC disabled and see what happens and will edit this to let you know.
    Yes, that is the reason! Not sure if I'll enable it, especially since the re-boot might be an issue again.

20. mechBgon

Protected Mode does rely on UAC being enabled, so from a security perspective it's doubly beneficial to keep UAC enabled, and if you want the best resistance to privilege elevation it would be worthwhile to set UAC to "Always notify."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.