"This is the scariest, stealthiest, and most dangerous exploit I've seen come around

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by hawki, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Full Story Here:

http://wwww.networkworld.com/community/node/39825

2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

The paper is now available.

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hiding in SMM space is not new just not put into practice before. It would be detectable but more important is to fix the vulnerability, although this is a very specific hack.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Isn't this like discovering a new way to kill people and other life forms, but not just give the "weapon", instead just giving out the plans, so that others can do whatever they please?

Right, we're not the bad guys, we're just releasing something, that, if took to the wrong side, could give you a lot trouble.

Honesly, I tell you folks, the people living on this planet (most of them), are 100% rotten of their brain.

I believe that they don't think for a second - Hmmm, what if I was someone who didn't even know about security problems, etc., would I like others to do bad things or show the way to do bad things to me?

I guess not. Why bother, uh?

5. Arup

Arup Guest

So AMD CPUs are safe from this I presume, guess this will be good marketing for them.

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Safer then Intel for sure. Intel is suspicious, they copy Amds technique and now fight against them.

Use Amd if you scare about.

But for your disillusion: If you connect to the internet in many situations you are already part of the matrix game,
    especially if you use search engines and visit unsafe websides but also your isp may spy on you, not to forget the government,
    if you scare too much unplug everything.

Internet is a no win situation in terms of privacy keep that in mind forever in particular the next time you connect.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I keep saying that one day these electronic geniouses are going to finally determine how to send malware directly thru the electricity lines straight to your PC and appliances too.

Wouldn't it be something to wake up one day with a message on your PC screen saying listen to the output audible pulses in your refridgerator and you have 10 seconds now before the compressor goes down.

A scary prospect but stranger things have been already been accomplished in today's electronic fascinated world :ninja:

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Malware does go through electricity lines, in frames and packets :)

I would not get too excited about these kinds of things. It's great advertisement. Use scary words and you get attention. Just like news flashes. Ebola in your threater. Avian flu in your car! Millions at risks. Billions at risk. Nukes, apocalypse, global warming, fear = rating.

Mrk

9. SystemJunkie

Exactly what I think probably in some way it is already real but nobody knows. The electricity uses a specific frequency.

But nice definition: CPU Cache poisoning, location ring -2. What will be the next ring?

10. Mattchu

Mattchu Registered Member

Ring peace!! :gack:

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmm... not sure but soon ( by God,s will) I will buy a ring for my fiance. :D

12. Mattchu

Mattchu Registered Member

oooh prepare for a severe whallet bashing(it`s gotta be at least 1.5 carat :'(

This is totally ot but i notice your running Win 7 with sandboxie(3.35?).I`ve got it running,had to sort a few "issues" out--> no sound in flash when FX was sandboxed,plus a few not sorted yet.How are you finding it running?
    Have you had to do any tweaks?

Take care(and good luck with the fiance)

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

I am running SBIE only with Opera and yes there is no sound with flash. Just living with it. I use IE out of sandbox with it.
    BTW I did not try Opera out of sandbox to see if flash sound works or not.

14. Burgess

Burgess Registered Member

Re: "This is the scariest, stealthiest, and most dangerous exploit I've seen come aro

Um, consider the source. Years ago "she" also made those silly claims about "her" 1953853% undetectable rootkit that could probably infect everything, including washing machines and vinyl gramophones. People have said that old Tomas lost his marbles even long before that sex change operation which changed him into "Joanna", and I guess they may have been right. . .

15. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Re: "This is the scariest, stealthiest, and most dangerous exploit I've seen come aro

Sounds like somebody joined just to get personal.
    Jilted lover maybe?

We have all been prone to exageration or have overlooked something only to be proven incorrect. We assimilate and move on.

16. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I guess the validity of what you say depends on how you define "silly claims"

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=297

17. XDD

XDD Registered Member

apparently intel employees found this exploit in 2005 she had also contacted intel to no avail, that is why she had to go public. Its very common for vendors to know about exploits/bugs and do nothing.

18. SystemJunkie

Why should Intel solve the bug? Maybe they get money from gov.
    If I had to choose between Intel and Amd in terms of trustworthiness, I would go 100% for Amd.
    This smm bug is very bad for Intels reputation.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.