Thinking of using FDISR.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Bio-Hazard, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

When you want to keep your frozen snapshot up-to-date, then you have to re-freeze it by using the function "Freeze" under "Actions", which updates the "freeze storage.arx" and this AFTER updating Windows and security softwares.
    Freeze = copy/update from "frozen snapshot" to "freeze storage.arx".

During reboot in a frozen snapshot, than this happens behind the Welcome screen of Windows :
    copy/update from "freeze storage.arx" to "frozen snapshot".
    This copy/update is automatic and invisible.

An interesting option is that you can replace the "freeze storage.arx" by any "archived snapshot" and that makes it possible to boot directly in an archived snapshot, which is normally IMPOSSIBLE, but you can do it this way. You have to know what you are doing of course. This is NOT for beginners.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Thanks Erik, I think i still stick with my set up that i mentined earlier and little by little try other things.

Have a nice day!

Kristian

3. ErikAlbert

I also think you better stick to your actual setup. A frozen snapshot is a different world with other rules.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Guys in my honest opinion, new users would be better off leaving freezing snapshots out of the picture, until you are totally comfortable with using it. You can accomplish the same thing without the risk of of losing something thru the reboot. Just my opinion of course.

Pete

5. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Thanks Erik and Peter! I will be leaving the freeze snapshot alone. I am managing very well at the moment.

Kristian

6. pbernard

pbernard Registered Member

I've been following this thread with interest as I'm a new user and concluded that at this time I won't venture into the"frozen"snapshot area. Appreciate all the insights.
    Pat

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Yes thanx Mike, I actually came across that comment or something like it I think on their Knowledge base some time after I posted the original question. But thanx for going to the trouble of posting that.
    I have had some more time to play, and build some confidence in the program booting in and out of different snapshots, changing things and restoring them, and have now disabled the Windows restore.

8. tradetime

Houston, we have a problem

9. Peter2150

Yes??

10. tradetime

Copy of primary snapshot is not the same as the primary, half my tray icons are missing......FDISR for one, which is worrying, though the program appears to be running and the contol panel lauches from the start menu System seems to be ok just the tray icons missing, FDISR, Windows Defenter, UPS, Sandboxie, Graphics controller
    Have booted back into the primary and there they all are, very odd Any suggestions?

11. ErikAlbert

I assume the copy/update was error-free in the upper and bottom part of the processing screen ?
    And what happens when you redo the copy/update ?

12. Peter2150

Those would be my suggestions also.

13. tradetime

Upadte on this issue:
    Thanx for the suggestions, I rebooted to see if that would solve the issue, but there was no change most tray icons were still missing, a look at the task manager showed that the programs the missing icons pertained to were all running, and command screens for them could be activated from their start menu links.
    I rebooted again, this time back into the primary snapsot, and all was normal there, icons where they belonged. I considered an update / copy to that snapsot again, but this would not have been the resolution I wanted, the snapshot showed no errors top or bottom or in the log, and whilst I would not hold it against the program to have an error from time to time due to all sorts of unforseen circumstances, I would be unhappy if the program did not tell me about them, such an occurence would not inspre confidence.

I decided to reboot again, back into the newly created snapshot, and everything was suddenly as it should be, all icons present. I can only conclude that this is a system issue and nothing to do with FD-ISR.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Had something slightly similar happen when I got the 202 patch and it reverted me back to VSS. When I copy/updated, the icon for process explorer wasn't copied over correctly to my snapshot, it was just a white square. I could make it go "right" by clicking on it.
    Raxco said this was nothing to do with FD but a windows caching issue

15. tradetime

Sorry guys, another question, on the main FD screen bottom left corner is a panel containing........ Status, Last Boot, What does Last Failover mean?

16. ErikAlbert

I can't find the word "failover" in my English/Dutch dictionary and the User Manual has no explanation either. Ask Raxco and tell us their answer. :)

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Only guessing here, but my last failover says 9 days and that is when I had my first snapshot error, had errors ever since and awaiting more instructions from Raxco.

18. tradetime

Will e-mail them over the weekend Erik

19. tradetime

Mine ays 2 days ago which was the last time I made a new snapshot which was error free, was also the last time I moved between snapshots

20. pbernard

tradetime - my failover is the same as yours - the last time I copy/update my primary to secondary without any errors and rebooted to test the secondary snapshot.
    Pat

21. tradetime

Yes I think Failover is the act of switching over to another snapshot in this case.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failover

22. pbernard

I believe that you're correct on this. Perhaps that does solve the question?
    Pat

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I would agree that is the answer, as after checking my logs not only was it 9 days ago when I had the error, it was also when I last booted to a different snapshot.

I am still testing copy engines so therefore am "banned" from switching at the moment.

24. Peter2150

Hi Stapp

Did they specifically tell you not to switch snapshots, or reinstall or do anything??

Pete

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

They told me not to do any copy/updates until the problem is solved. My other snapshots are out of date now, security update wise etc, so I would have to boot into another snapshot in order to security update it.

I am keeping my secondary as a last place of refuge in case of a worst case situation.

Yes I know I should have an image but I haven't got that far yet, it is, as you know Peter, next on my list.

I am on my 4th copy engine try out for Raxco, hopefully we are getting near.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.